I'm Having Trouble Assimilating | Teen Ink

I'm Having Trouble Assimilating

By erikasore BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
erikasore BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

Gifted
They label her.  They breed her into an heir of superiority.  They make her believe she is something she is not.  Smart.  Witty.  Better.

It gets her into trouble.  She says things she shouldn’t.  Being a preteen knocks her down quite a few pegs.

High School is absolutely not cool
What is gifted? AP.  Honors.  Regular. She fits into the category of absolutely average, nothing gifted about her at all.  Going nowhere and she couldn’t be more thrilled.  Assimilation is everything. Teachers don’t notice her.  Friends elude her.  Homework is nonexistent.  She exerts the most effort into taking the path of least resistance.

Accidentally wins a few writing contests.  Varsity cheerleader.  Becomes fluent in two languages.

Nobody notices.

A truly gifted slacker.    

Tests
Is guessing a gift? Apparently it is. AP tests. SATs. ACTs. UCF, UM, UF, FSU. She gets in everywhere she applies. They told her getting in was the hardest thing she’d ever do.

The tune of over $40,000 a year is not something Rob and Joann want to listen to.

Should’ve tried Georgetown.

College is… What?
Slacking is tough.  Skipping class, sleeping all day.  Roommate sucks. Not UM.  Antidepressants, anti-anxiety, Adderall, uppers, downers, prescriptions, shots.  They try everything to get her on track.  The Adderall works well enough. Apparently slacking is medical condition that needs treatment.  But she’s never focused on anything in her life.  Never stuck with a sport or even the same friends.  Talks at the speed of light.  Can’t control outbursts in class.  Never cleaned her room.  Never did anything that wasn’t enjoyable for her.  Her test taking got her through without any one blinking an eye.

Becoming a professional slacker and getting into the top five universities in the state seems like a reason to be called gifted in itself.

Imagine what she could’ve done with a work ethic like her sisters.

Life as is.
She tries a sorority to make friends.  She never saw herself here in a million years.  She played the game.  She got what she wanted.  New roommates.  New meds. New job.  New people that have to be her friends by “the unbreakable bonds of sisterhood.” (Ha.) Her parents aren’t as worried.  Her sister calls her just to talk.  People like her.  New purpose.  New gift.