Dear Future Me | Teen Ink

Dear Future Me

By lostandsmall SILVER, Athens, Alabama
lostandsmall SILVER, Athens, Alabama

"Maybe our favourite quotations say more about us than the stories and people we're quoting."
-Looking For Alaska- John Green-

Dear Future Me,
Remember back to when you spent every minute of your day depending on someone else? Or how you thought boys were the earth and you were the moon (distance, always more important)? Do you remember spending your time on other people when you should’ve been worried about your own wellbeing? Do you remember the times that you were alone, wishing for a warm embrace? Can you still count the times that you cried yourself to sleep sitting there in that bedroom?
Where are you now? Has life shown you the side of life with greener grass? Are your days long and nights short like they should be? Have you found somewhere to settle down with a cordial person who gives you everything you always wanted? How are things turning out for you?
I would tell you about me, but you know me all too well. You know the way I feel and think because you were once me. I’m sure you’ve gone through changes, but I know you remember me. There are things I hope that you will be, but I’ve learned far too much about getting my hopes up. I’m very familiar with the way dreams lift you up, gently- like floating on a cloud. But reality is bound to come crashing down around you, leaving nothing but rubble and dust. I know you’re no stranger to these feelings.
There are many things in life that are meant to bring joy into a person’s life. Every part of my existence depends on you finding something worthwhile. I hope you’ve found something to hold and cherish in your times of need. Maybe that thing is your job. It could even be God. Have you somehow re-convinced yourself of his existence, even though long ago, he wasn’t there when you spent your nights praying for him to help you, just this once. If you have, I hope it makes you happy.
When you find this letter, I hope you cry. I hope you cry from the memories flooding back and I hope you cry with all of the appreciation of your youth. I hope you’ll have found love in your childhood when you look back in you 40s or maybe even 70s. I hope you look back with acceptance and forgive everyone that’s done you wrong. But most of all, I hope you remember me.
Sincerely,
Past Me

lostandsmall SILVER, Athens, Alabama

-Looking For Alaska- John Green-

Wow. Thank you so much.

on Sep. 22 2014 at 7:07 am
dgeileen PLATINUM, Livingston, New Jersey

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
― Oscar Wilde

No it's really amazing and deserved it. I love the ending :)

on Sep. 22 2014 at 4:00 am
lostandsmall SILVER, Athens, Alabama

-Looking For Alaska- John Green-

I really didn't expect this to get popular. I just wrote it for Creative Writing because she told us to. It's not really worthy of any sort of recognition...