Looking at the Stars | Teen Ink

Looking at the Stars

By writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan
writer99 GOLD, Rochester Hills, Michigan

Everyone leaves. One by one, everyone leaves your life and doesn’t even bother looking back. Do you ever just feel that way? As if the whole grand scheme of things doesn’t falter with or without those people in your life and although you truly believed the world would shatter without them, they walk out and never look back and you’re left feeling as if your entire life was as small and pitiful as humans look in a galaxy? Nope? Okay just me. That’s fine and slightly ironic. However, I know you’re all lying. I know you have this feeling and I know it hits you when you lie in bed at night and realize that nobody is lying next to you, nobody is there to tuck you in, to say goodnight, or even to mutter a word at all. Yes, you may wake up and have a friendly greeting from a neighbor, or a “good morning” on the way to school. But the times when you truly need it, the times when you are trapped in darkness with no way out, is when nobody bothers to look your way. Nobody bothers to check up, or to catch up. How truly lonely do you feel in that moment? Don’t even bother trying to justify against me because although you might have someone in the dark next to you tonight, there will always be a tomorrow, and there will always be another lonely night. Just as plentiful as the stars in the sky are the amount of moments ready for disappointment, sadness, and grief. But here I am, about to surprise you again. You would think that after writing such a tragic and overly dramatic narrative that I am all-consumingly and downright depressing. But this piece is here for you. It’s here to tell you that you’re not alone. You’re not the only one frozen with disbelief in the midst of the night with fear of being insignificant. I am there with you and I am there for you. I am there facing this reality, along with millions of others across the world. And here we are, able to wake up and receive the love and connection in so many other ways. Those numerous stars in the sky are no more and no less the representation of people tonight who are glaring up as well, and they shine bright for us in a sign of hope of another tomorrow. Because just as the infinite number of days allows infinite amount of heartbreak, but it also allows infinite amounts of joy, and that’s what truly speaks to me at night.