Five A.M. | Teen Ink

Five A.M.

By bsolich14 PLATINUM, Greenwood Village, Colorado
bsolich14 PLATINUM, Greenwood Village, Colorado

"Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and, therefore, the foundation of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathize with humans whose experiences we have never shared."
—J.K. Rowling

We were touching. My mind couldn’t let go of the fact. My heart raced. You were so close I was sure you could hear it. Second to minute, minute to hour…time seemed an entirely novel concept. Maybe it was the alcohol still whizzing through my veins. Maybe I was just longing for someone to snuggle up next to. But you weren’t just a warm body. You were you. And the old me would have run far away and never stayed the night. But somehow I feel more open here. You’ve done things I never plan to experience; you’ve been through things I hope never to encounter. You’re pretty messed up. And when I talk to you, I feel a little messed up too. And I like that. Our legs entwined, your arms around me, I peek through my eyelashes. You nuzzle your face close to mine. Our noses rest together, our breath mingling as I shut my eyes too. I told myself to remember that this is what happy feels like.