Something About Nothing | Teen Ink

Something About Nothing

By dbacksgirl29 BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
dbacksgirl29 BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

I thought for so long on what I could write about for this assignment. There was so much I could write about, so so much. There are over 7 billion people in this world. I had no words for any of them. There are over 1 million words in the English language. I couldn’t put them next to each other in a way that expressed an idea other than this one. There are so many things in the world so many people so many places so many events, and I couldn’t pick one of those things that wasn’t an idea about not having an idea. There is just so much that it’s overwhelming that it’s a blur in my mind and I can’t seem to stick my hand in the stream of everything quick enough in order to snatch onto something. I think maybe then I should just write about nothing. Not nothing as in I’m not going to continue writing, not going to do this assignment. Nothing as in the insignificant things that people usually neglect when writing, passing them up in favor of some grandiose concept that will make them seem impressive, the search for which I have fallen victim of, that may even have caused this random (and possibly boring) stream of thoughts to be put upon this paper . I’m not going to write about the meaning of life or the merits of war. Maybe I’ll just write about how I’ve never finished a tube of Chapstick and that is something that I have in common with the majority of Chapstick users. Or maybe I’ll write about how when you’re little a blanket is all the protection you’ll ever need, whether it’s from a bullet or a broken heart. Or maybe I could write about all those times when you tried to vacuum up a crack or maybe even scrub off a birthmark. Or maybe I could write about how when you look up the word “maybe” in a thesaurus it comes up with 14 other words/ phrases and when you search “write” it gives you 51 alternative words/phrases (none of which I actually substituted in, sorry) Or maybe I could write (see there they are again) about how I managed to write about nothing while at the same time I actually did write about something. Or maybe I could just stop writing (because by this point I have run out of nothing to write about something).

This was for a school assignment. We were basically allowed to write about anything, but that turned out to be too much freedom for me. I couldn't come up with anything. So, this is what happened.