July 22nd | Teen Ink

July 22nd

By Alawicious GOLD, Emerald Isle, North Carolina
Alawicious GOLD, Emerald Isle, North Carolina

I am confused by life, but I feel safe within the confines of the theater.

Lights on, hushed voices, lights off, the sound of feet hurring across the floor and the ticking of a clock as I was pulled back into reality. Their is only one word I remember being woken up to and that is "Heartattack." His heart stopped beating as he was rushed to the hospital. The last words he said were that he had five children whom he loved very much. It was 12 days after my 15th birthday that my father passed away. My mother told us as we huddled around the dining room table. My whole world seemed to collapse, with only my family there for support.
Food, friends, and neighbors seemed to be in large quantities after that fateful day. Letters in the mail were brought in along with many flowers and hugs. People, who I didn't even know, called, emailed, and wrote letters of sympathy for the loss of a wonderful man. My mom seems to be handling the whole situation even better than I thought she would, but I still worry about her. I also worry about how my future might be different. I think about all the things that my father is going to miss like my first boyfriend, my first prom, my high school graduation, going off to college, and eventually getting married.
It has been 3 years tomorrow since he died and I still remember everything about him. I loved him so much and I am thankful for the time I had him in my life.
I know that I will continue dealing with my situation with an open heart. I will go through the obsticles that life brings me. I will keep family close and I will always remember my Dad.

***This is for you Dad for the impact you have made on my life and so many people who knew the man that you were. You will never be forgotten. I will NEVER forget you***

Tomorrow marks the day of his passing three years ago and I wanted to write something to get what I feel off my chest. My father was unlike any person that I have ever met in my life. He knew just what to say to me when I was down and he was always there in the morning with a smiling face and a plate full of eggs for my daily breakfast. I miss him every day but I am reminded of him in small things like the growing of our garden that he loved so much or the smell of coffee in the morning. This is my tribute to him...