Behind the Mask | Teen Ink

Behind the Mask

By BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan
BLC2016 GOLD, Hanover, Michigan

"I love books. I love that moment when you open one and sink into it. You can escape from the world, into a story that's way more interesting than your's will ever be." -Elizabeth Scott

When I found out that we could do a project of our choosing during school hours, I was very excited. After all, it's not very often that you get to do whatever you want for a school project. I decided to create a latex mask, similar to the ones you see in Hollywood's movies. Basically, you have to sculpt your design, cover it in plaster and use the plaster as a mold for the latex. Masks made in this fashion have been around for years, but masks themselves have been around for centuries in many cultures.

Masks have been used all over the world for the thousands of years. They appear throughout history in places such as Ancient Greece, Egypt, Asia, South America, Ancient Rome, Europe, Japan, and even America. Each culture used the masks for different purposes. There were masks for hunting, prevention of disease, and even initiation into manhood. Since then, masks have evolved into the Hollywood style latex masks you see today. Before the use of latex, masks were made of other materials such as gold, wood, or wax. However, it's not really the design or purpose of the mask that's important. It's about the feelings and symbolism behind it all. Hollywood uses masks to tell a story that brings out the feelings in all of us, whether those feelings are amusement, fear, love, or sadness. The mask and the actor wearing it get the privilege and the honor of bringing to life a story that might not otherwise be told. Masks are a big part of theater, especially in America, as they have been since ancient times. They are symbols of something greater, often something supernatural and never before seen by the human eye.

Many Americans enjoy the benefits of masks, even if they don't realize it. They are a big part of entertainment. The movie industry uses masks in many, many films. They also make great Halloween costumes! As far as competition goes, latex masks don't have much. Many of the masks that you can purchase are either latex or poly-foam, a similar material. Masks will most likely continue to grow in popularity as special effects are increased. Better effects need better masks to compliment! I really enjoyed this project. It gave me a chance to try something new and I found that I liked making masks. It was a great learning experience as well.