Bit Off More Than I Can Chew | Teen Ink

Bit Off More Than I Can Chew

June 6, 2014
By Merrrrrrman BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Merrrrrrman BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My body craves for activity so I usually work out to get that energy out of me. I haven’t worked out in almost two weeks so I had energy stored inside me waiting for its chance to escape.

It was after school and I was walking my girlfriend home on a bright sunny HOT day. Before I could melt into my shoes my cell phone rang. I check the caller ID to see who it was who was calling me in this heat wave, it was my friend Charles…

“Hello?” I ask wondering if Charles wanted something important

“Sup Ariel, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me and my friend.”

“Yeah bro, when and where?” hoping to get out of this hot sun ASAP, but first I had to drop off the babe.

“Library at 3” Charles clearly said

“Alright see you there” I hang up and put my cell phone back in my pocket. My girlfriend asked who it was and I tell her it was Charles and he wants to hang out with me.

I dropped off my girlfriend at her house and started heading to the library. I could finally get out of the heat I thought to myself.

As I reached the library I realized didn’t know what time it was. I glanced over at my watch…2:37… right on time I said in my head. I saw two people walking my way at a brisk pace.
“Charles!” I exclaimed happy to see a friend.

“What’s up? This is my friend Matt” as he introduced me to Matt.
“What’s up? I’m Ariel” I said sticking my hand out.

“Hey, I’m Matthew” Matt said as he met my hand with a firm hand shake. We all started to head inside the library finally getting out of the unbearable heat. When we walked into the library I felt a blast of cool air hit my face, it felt great.

“Let’s go into the back” Charles said as he led the way into the back of the library. The library has a quiet and peaceful environment, but it was kind of packed. When we got the back there were 3 seats open.

“Wow just enough for us” Matt said. We all sat down simultaneously, and when we did I pulled out my cards.

“Texas Hold Em?” I ask Charles and Matt

“Sure, we will bet pushups instead of money. Are you guys ok with that?” Charles asked Matt and me.

“Alright” I said
“Sure” Matt said

“It’s settled then, we will bet pushups. With that said I started shuffling the cards. I started handing out the cards when everyone was ready.

I got a pair, so I thought I had a good hand.

“I bet 20 pushups” I said confidently. Charles looked at me with a stern look almost as if he was looking right through me.

“Call” Charles said
“I’ll fold this game” Said Matt

The next card was placed. It was a matching card that I had in my hand so instead of having a pair I had three of a kind.

With a slight smile I said, “I bet 20 more pushups” I automatically thought to myself, I’m going to win so I’m going to bet as much as I can.

“Call” Charles said with his best poker face. OH Charles if only you knew what I had you would be so scared right now…

The next round went the same, I bet 20 more pushups, and Charles called.

The final card came, 60 pushups on the table already.

Alright Charles, this is it this is where I beat you and bet high so you have to do a lot of pushups.

“I bet 20 more Charles” I said with a big smile trying to scare Charles.

Charles looked at me and looked at his hand then back at me.

“Raise 20” Charles said while he stared at me dead in the eye.

That’s 80 on the table…man is Charles bluffing…anyways I have a pretty good hand and I know I can win.

“Raise 20, that’s 100 pushups” I said putting on a serious face

“I’ll call, Ariel I’m afraid you lost. I didn’t want to raise because I feel bad for you”

Charles said with a big grin on his face.

Damn! What is this he wins? No it can’t be I…I…

Before I can think Charles places his cards down…

“What? How? You have 3 of a kind also!” I said shocked.

“Look, the only difference is that yours is higher” I said placing my 3 of a kind on the table…
I can’t believe I lost… I bit off more than I can do… no…

“Drop and give me hundred” Charles said laughing.

Well played Charles, well played…you knew that I wouldn’t back down and used that against me…my weakness is that I don’t give up, and you seen that.


The author's comments:
a narrative about a lesson i learned in life