In the Future...

In the future, I am sitting, rocking slightly on my porch swing, located in my yellow sun room. Planted flowers and vegetables surround me, inviting the butterflies in through the propped open door, allowing a breeze to blow softly through my long, strawberry blonde hair. My lap holds a notebook and my hand holds a fancy fountain pen. I tap it lightly against my leg as I think about the next narrative I should write for my book. I am slightly distracted, though, with watching my two children through the sun room’s windows. They are playing on the metal swing set I had my husband build for them; my five year old son pushing my two year old daughter in the baby swing. I love my children and yet I am glad I had accomplished all my dreams before having them. After graduating high school a year early, I had said good-bye to my life and flew to Ireland, where I attended the University of Dublin’s Department of Psychology, finishing my master’s a semester early. I am happy with how my college life went. My roommate had become my best friend, whom I still talk to today. And while maintaining good grades and waitressing at a local pub, I had still managed to have plenty of fun- meeting new people, going to parties and dance clubs, exploring Ireland. During my breaks, I had visited other European countries- France, Germany, Spain, and Italy- how I had loved Italy; the food, the people, the sites- absolutely amazing.

I had finished college at the age of 21; and even though I had fallen in love with Europe, I had returned to the United States, where I stayed with my mom for a while, helping with my younger siblings. My mom is living a good life- finally happy, which makes me happy. She had moved to North Carolina and opened her own Bed and Breakfast on a small farm with livestock. She had found her soul mate, who loves her and her eight children; four of which still live with her. The other three are scattered across the United States, all happy and keeping in touch.

I soon found a job in the same state as a psychologist for teenagers. I had then moved into a small apartment complex and started working at the psychology job as well as a waitressing job. By 23 years old, I had quit my psychology job and opened up my own psychology clinic, hiring psychologists for other age groups. Once my clinic seemed permanent, I had dropped the waitressing altogether and continued to maintain a social life. Not long after starting the clinic, I had met my future husband, who had moved into the same apartment complex. He is a detective; very good at his job and very well paid. Two years went by before we got married. A year later, we had our son. Soon afterwards, we bought the house I am sitting in now. It is a two story house, painted a light blue, complete with five bedrooms, three bathrooms, two family rooms, two offices, a laundry room, a large kitchen, and a completed basement. Attached to the house is a two-car garage, a wooden deck, and a sun room. The yard has a swing set, trampoline, a gazebo, a garden, and an in-ground pool, all equally spaced out across the abundance of land surrounded by trees. It has a paved driveway that goes a bit away into the trees and meets a road that goes five minutes to the town.

I am in love with my home, my family, my life. I find myself smiling slightly, a habit I still find strange. My depression seemed to have completely disappeared once I had started my first psychology job. It seems that helping other people had been my cure. Or maybe it is the fact that life is good, that my worries are limited. I have everything I could have ever dreamed to have- my dream job, my dream house, a perfect family; I had written and published several successful books. Yes, life is finally good. I am finally happy.

Of course, it’s not as if I can predict the future. It’s just that I want it all so bad that I have my future mapped out and I’ll do whatever I can to make this descriptive prediction a reality. This prediction of the future was an assignment given by my creative writing teacher, who also told us to make a 7 step plan as to what we think we will need to accomplish before we can ever make our dreams a reality. I’m sure, being that most people in this class didn’t enjoy writing, that I thought this out more than what was expected. These goals aren’t in order; I’m not sure how they even should be ordered.

1) Let go of the past, as hard as that may sound. It is holding you back, ruining experiences you should be having. Let it go and you will feel lighter, better. Built up anger will subside and you will be able to look at life with a new perspective.
2) Accept the present. You will not be able to live if you keep thinking about your future and ignoring the present. You are here now, in these situations; accept that and pay attention to it. You cannot deal with the present if you keep running from it.
3) Don’t let people get to you- it is making you angry and bitter. Yes, people may seem to be idiotic, but you cannot change them all. Do not ignore it; embrace it. Try to become more social or you will be lonely forever.
4) As much as you want kids, wait to have them. Accomplish all your other dreams first. It may sound terrible, but your children will hold you back from many things; have fun first. Besides, you will want to have a stable life before having them anyways.
5) Stop worrying about things out of your control. You cannot help your mom, as much as you refuse to believe it. You cannot be the “Mother Hen” of your siblings, as much as they may need it. You cannot change your dad’s mind, as much as he needs it. You cannot pull your family out of poverty, as much as everyone needs it. You cannot convince your friends to be drug free, to stay away from certain people, to stop trying to commit suicide. Just stop worrying about everyone else. Be self-conceded once in a while; you deserve it.
6) Save as much money as you possibly can; do not waste it on pointless items. You will need it; you do not want to end up in poverty again; you want to be able to buy things for your children; to provide healthy food and a good home.
7) Chase your dreams… and catch them. Do everything you have set out to do. Do not give up; find inspiration in everything. Never give up.