I'm Proud to be Me | Teen Ink

I'm Proud to be Me

By TierraJunebug SILVER, Wixom, Michigan
TierraJunebug SILVER, Wixom, Michigan

Be the change that you want to see in the world

There really wasn't any certain time or day that I realized I was bisexual. I just knew it. There was, however, a certain time and day when the long process of becoming open about it to friends and family began. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was at school in ninth grade. In my zumba fitness class, there was a conversation going on about why it was a girls only class. During this conversation, one girl commented,"Its a girls only class because they don't want anybody being looked at in an inappropriate or sexual way". Then another girl said " I'm glad there are not any lesbo's or bisexual girls in here , that would be weird!".T hat is when I got involved in the conversation, I said "even if there were lesbians or bisexual people in here that does not mean they would look at you in an inappropriate or sexual way , just because someone likes the same sex , doesn't mean they look at everyone that gender in a sexual way."

So the girl snaps an attitude and says"thats not true".

So i say " so , you like boys , but that doesn't mean you're attracted to all boys in a sexual way , does it?"

She got really annoyed because she knew I was right! She blurted out, "why are you sticking up for gay people, that's disgusting". Then I got very upset and told her: "I'm sticking up for gay people because they are not disgusting, because they deserve to be treated fair because i'm bisexual myself and because I am sick of hearing people judging us and putting us down. Unlike so many people in this world I stand up for what is right."

Lunch was after that class and I remember getting my lunch and sitting in the corner of the hall way eating all alone. When I was in the lunchline, everybody was talking about me. Stuff spreads so fast in small schools. I cried on the bus ride home because everyone was teasing me and calling me names.When I got home, my grandpa asked what was wrong so I came out and told him I was bisexual.The first thing he said was "you're going to hell". My grandpa was a very religious man , which was confusing because at the same time, he was one of the most judgmental people I knew. It was about a month that went by until the bullying slowed down a little bit, but even after that it was hell to go to school each day. One day about a month later my mom , my grandma, and my siblings from the other side of my family came to visit me. We all went out to dinner. I was so scared to tell my mom and grandma since their opinions mean a lot to me but I decided that the restaurant was a good place to tell them so that my mom would not yell there.I was terrified to tell them , afraid they would hate me or disown me like my grandpa did.

After we ordered my siblings went away to play arcade games that they had there and I decided that was the time to tell them. My exact words were " there is something i need to tell you guys ,please try not to be mad but I'm bisexual, I like girls... and boys". Then the most unexpected thing happened, nobody got mad or disappointed. My mom said "well honey, I already had a feeling that you were bisexual, I'm not mad at you...I love you and always will." I never understood how she knew but I left it at that.

That happened three years ago, I now live somewhere else with my uncle, where I'm accepted. I am happy now and I don't feel the need to hide anymore.I have great friends , who love me for who I am , not for who I used to pretend to be.I learned that life may be hard , but in the end , being yourself is important. I am so happy now. Not only do I love myself for me , but now I have a full support system full of people who know who I really am and love me just like that!I learned that it is not good to hide who you are, be yourself! For anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation....be strong and more importantly, be you!

Be yourself , even if some people judge you for who you are there will always be someone who loves you just how you are ...no strings attached!

TierraJunebug SILVER, Wixom, Michigan

thank you , i appreciate your feedback.

on May. 21 2014 at 11:00 am
nprunner11 BRONZE, North Platte, Nebraska

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one will go."
"Live life with no regrets"

I really like your article. Its all so true. And you are truley a strong person for standing up for yourself and others the way that you did. Please keep on being proud to be yourself!!!!