I'm Proud to be Me | Teen Ink

I'm Proud to be Me

May 16, 2014
By TierraJunebug SILVER, Wixom, Michigan
TierraJunebug SILVER, Wixom, Michigan
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be the change that you want to see in the world


There really wasn't any certain time or day that I realized I was bisexual. I just knew it. There was, however, a certain time and day when the long process of becoming open about it to friends and family began. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was at school in ninth grade. In my zumba fitness class, there was a conversation going on about why it was a girls only class. During this conversation, one girl commented,"Its a girls only class because they don't want anybody being looked at in an inappropriate or sexual way". Then another girl said " I'm glad there are not any lesbo's or bisexual girls in here , that would be weird!".T hat is when I got involved in the conversation, I said "even if there were lesbians or bisexual people in here that does not mean they would look at you in an inappropriate or sexual way , just because someone likes the same sex , doesn't mean they look at everyone that gender in a sexual way."

So the girl snaps an attitude and says"thats not true".

So i say " so , you like boys , but that doesn't mean you're attracted to all boys in a sexual way , does it?"

She got really annoyed because she knew I was right! She blurted out, "why are you sticking up for gay people, that's disgusting". Then I got very upset and told her: "I'm sticking up for gay people because they are not disgusting, because they deserve to be treated fair because i'm bisexual myself and because I am sick of hearing people judging us and putting us down. Unlike so many people in this world I stand up for what is right."

Lunch was after that class and I remember getting my lunch and sitting in the corner of the hall way eating all alone. When I was in the lunchline, everybody was talking about me. Stuff spreads so fast in small schools. I cried on the bus ride home because everyone was teasing me and calling me names.When I got home, my grandpa asked what was wrong so I came out and told him I was bisexual.The first thing he said was "you're going to hell". My grandpa was a very religious man , which was confusing because at the same time, he was one of the most judgmental people I knew. It was about a month that went by until the bullying slowed down a little bit, but even after that it was hell to go to school each day. One day about a month later my mom , my grandma, and my siblings from the other side of my family came to visit me. We all went out to dinner. I was so scared to tell my mom and grandma since their opinions mean a lot to me but I decided that the restaurant was a good place to tell them so that my mom would not yell there.I was terrified to tell them , afraid they would hate me or disown me like my grandpa did.

After we ordered my siblings went away to play arcade games that they had there and I decided that was the time to tell them. My exact words were " there is something i need to tell you guys ,please try not to be mad but I'm bisexual, I like girls... and boys". Then the most unexpected thing happened, nobody got mad or disappointed. My mom said "well honey, I already had a feeling that you were bisexual, I'm not mad at you...I love you and always will." I never understood how she knew but I left it at that.

That happened three years ago, I now live somewhere else with my uncle, where I'm accepted. I am happy now and I don't feel the need to hide anymore.I have great friends , who love me for who I am , not for who I used to pretend to be.I learned that life may be hard , but in the end , being yourself is important. I am so happy now. Not only do I love myself for me , but now I have a full support system full of people who know who I really am and love me just like that!I learned that it is not good to hide who you are, be yourself! For anyone who is in or has been in a similar situation....be strong and more importantly, be you!


The author's comments:
Be yourself , even if some people judge you for who you are there will always be someone who loves you just how you are ...no strings attached!