My Name Narrative | Teen Ink

My Name Narrative

April 15, 2014
By banksshamya BRONZE, Junction CIty, Kansas
banksshamya BRONZE, Junction CIty, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My name is a unique name. I’ve never met someone with the same name as me, but I know other people have it and I don’t like that. I have yet to walk into a souvenir store and see the name “Shamya” written on anything, and I’m okay with that. It’s very rare that someone sees my name for the first time and pronounces it right. I’ve heard everything from sh-am-yuh, sh-uh-may-uh, shame-uh, and so on. I just want to scream “IT’S SHAMYA! SH-UH-MY-UH! SHA-MYA! HOW HARD IS THAT? COME ON NOW!” but I’m a nice person so I just simply say “It’s Shamya” with an expressionless face. I like hearing other people say my name because everyone’s voice is different so I’m hearing it in a different way and I just love that.

I’ve never really wanted to change my name because I feel like it fits like a glove with my personality. My name is shy, we have something in common. Sometimes it sounds spontaneous and different, yet other times it sounds boring and dull, and that’s exactly how I am. I don’t think any other name would fit me. Shamya works for me, like the name chocolate works for chocolate, and the name flowers work for flowers.

My name is like snow in the spring, difficult. It’s also like 70 degree weather in October, pleasant. But it’s also like a new routine, you get used to it after a while. Everybody’s name is unique to them regardless if your name is Sarah or some crazy, extravagant name. Without our names, who would we be? It doesn’t matter if you hate your name or love your name; it was intended to be for you. That’s why I wouldn’t change my name for the world.


The author's comments:
In class I was assigned to write a narrative about me name and use that to describe me.