"Better me than someone else" | Teen Ink

"Better me than someone else"

By Dujjo BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky
Dujjo BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky

"Does giving really mean hospitality, Or does caring for people? I think the latter. "
I know it's a random quote but I love it all the same!!!

I lay in my bed with my face buried in my pillow, how could they do this to me!

You see, I was adopted into a family that was physically and verbally abusive to me. It seemed like my parents literally looked for ways to put me down.

Just this day my father slapped my arm raw as painful tears streamed down my face as I screamed helplessly and tried to pull away from his iron grip.

But alas it was to no avail, all I have left now is this throbbing red arm that will burn for a couple days.

As I lay in my bed I wonder why am I in this family? Out of all of the families that could have adopted me why was it this one?

The only thing I can do to comfort myself in moments like these is to curl up in a ball and whisper to myself.

"Better me than someone else"

This story is an encouragement of my personal excperience of child abuse. I could go on and on with stories of my punishments, but it would take to long. This is one that I remember happening when I was 12 years old. Please do not say that I am just making this up because that is extremely hurtful. If your going through abuse then please remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!