Heiroglyphs | Teen Ink

Heiroglyphs

March 11, 2014
By choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
15 articles 3 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am selfish. I am brave. I am Divergent."


The thick atmosphere hung heavily, like a cloak across the vast desert and beyond. In the distance, the pyramids lay alongside, their trusted guardian, the ferocious looking Sphinx, made of accumulated layers of sandy bricks. The brown blanket of sand grains seemed to stretch off into infinity and beyond as a cacophony of sounds erupted near the gates leading to the famous monuments ahead. the camel owners were desperately trying to calm down the distressed animals as a tourist, unaware of the raucous behaviour, climbed up onto it's protruding hump. The soles of its feet were worn away by continuous movement and labour. Meanwhile, the breeze rushed past the many crowds of people, cooling the sunburnt and sweaty skin but then diminishing, just as quick as it had arrived.

Cameras clicked in every direction as swarming crowds surrounded the four, towering pyramids of Giza, as they sat calmly. This was one of the many unique experiences that I recall repeatedly, replaying the events in my mind. Archaic history flowed throughout the city of Cairo, engulfing me in it's ambiguous past as heiroglyphs shimmered with their magical powers on every old monument. it truly is a magical, mysterious country with it's many secrets, yet to be unravelled...


The author's comments:
This came to me during my fantastic voyage to the ancient world of Egypt.