Trash Night This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I open the cabinet door below the sink and already I can smell the stench of tonights 5 Guys wrappers mixed with old vegetables and assorted leftovers. It’s trash night, the second one this week actually. As the older sister it's my duty to haul the white and red handled Hefty bag down the three flights of stairs, through the double doors and out onto the wet, paved, sidewalk. I do this every Tuesday and Friday and as reluctant and annoying it is, theres no arguing. But trash night isn’t a total waste. I gather up the bag from under the sink and retrieve my garbage bin, dumping its contents into the mouth of the smelly monster. Next the bathroom, then the dining room, then my younger sisters room (she doesn't even have the liberty to place it outside her door for me). Already pissed that I have been shaken from my book I step angrily out into the hallway to where my shoes are. “Fuggs”, fake uggs. Or Bearpaws in my case. I pull them on and throw the bag over my shoulder, starting the descent down the stairs. But here’s where the story picks up. As I’m coming out the door I look around, no people, good I think. I step out into the cold, only dressed in a tank top, electric blue sports bra and sweatpants, oh and my “fuggs”. The ground is wet from the gritty snow on the side of the road melting. I try to take care to not slip but it happens anyway. Then I’m falling, those fractions of seconds when your feet are in the air and your back is crashing towards the ground--

But don’t hit the ground. I look up. A pair of blue-green eyes meet mine. “Lucky catch,” a low voice glides out of lips that somehow are moving. I am helped to my feet. Say thanks, I think. “Thanks”, I mumble out, “You like totally just saved my life”. Shut up! You sound so stupid! I tell myself. The man looks at me and smiles, one half of his mouth curling up and the other staying the same, a signature crooked smile, I almost die.

“It’s my job” he says, the lilt of his voice happy and carefree.

“Can I have your card cause I could really use some more saving”, I tease back. I surprise myself at the witty remark, instantly feeling a sense of place and comfort. We talk for a while more, until I see my mother looking out the window. “I better go, It’s been nice” I say, reluctant to leave, feeling the dread of going back to the monotony of my household fill me. He extends his hand and smiles.

“Yes it has. I’m Augustus” I smile. Like from The Fault In Our Stars, I think. “Like from The book, if you’ve read it” He finishes and I laugh.
“You read my mind!” I say and he laughs. “I wish I could tell you my name is Hazel but… it’s Liv, sorry”. He smiles again and looks at me.
“I think I like Liv better actually,” he pauses and looks around. “It’s getting late and I should be going but heres my email. Write me sometime, Okay?”

“Okay.” I answer and I take to the stairs.

Dear reader, Im sorry to inform you, but that happened in my head. The real story is all too boring and entirely uneventful to be called a story at all. Really, all I did was take out the trash and go back inside. I climbed the three flights of stairs to my apartment and settled myself in my chair. I picked up my book and dove even deeper into a love story not my own, one so far away and so real that the dreams in my head never existed.

Mishamigo said...
yesterday at 2:03 pm:
I just saw your page and saw that we had so many of the same interests! I'm currently reading 13 Reasons Why and Divergent because my friends got me into them and I love them both! Also, JOHN GREEN! Ahhh! I've read TFIOS, Will Grayson Will Grayson, and Looking For Alaska. GIRL your page and your writing and just everything is amazing! I'm Lauren, btw xD

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 6:22 pm :
Hi Lauren! TFIOS is life omg best book ever. Looking For Alaska was great and sadly I havent read Will Grayson yet :/ 13 Reasons Why......i cant even its freakng incredible and DIVERGENT IS LIFE OMG IM GOING TO SEE IT THE DAY IT COMES OUTTTT!     anywho... You can call me Liv! and feel free to read my work anytime haha I'm totally willing to look at yours! I see you have been here for 29 days so far but still WELCOME TO TEENINK!!! <3 Keep rockin!

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5 at 10:29 am:
I would advise you to be careful of some typos, you were missing some commas and apostrophies there.  But technicalities aside, i do like the way you have raised something so simple as taking the trash out into the begining of a love story. And don't worry, you're not the only one to fantasize like that. I do it all the time :D  

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26 at 3:19 am:
LIV! I think liv is awesomer too! BY THE WAY WHAT A STORY. No wonder you got the checkmark. But Congratulations cause I WANT THE REST OF THIS STORY :P ahahhahhaha But anyway come on seriously... When am I going to get to read your book/story/novel? I really can't wait. Loved reading something from you after so long. Love always, Dua.

Feb. 26 at 4:51 pm :
Awww thanks! Haha this was just a fantasy in my head... nothing more. Some day though, I promise I will get a novel published, and when I do, you will get a signed copy!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 27 at 6:10 am :
OH NO Not just signed! I want a special inscription for a FRIEND from the author :D :D Yes I do. 

today at 6:23 pm :
Haha of course!!!! what should I say...  

TheMoonStillFollowsMeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 26 at 1:52 am:
You are awesome. It's a real talent to take something as small and uneventful as taking out the trash and actually make it interesting. I wanted to keep reading! I wish I could do that. Love your stuff and keep posting because I want more. ~~~ Sincerely, An Inspired Reader

Feb. 26 at 4:50 pm :
Wow thank you! It means a lot when someone is willing to check out my work :) Keep rockin!