"It's Just Human Nature" | Teen Ink

"It's Just Human Nature"

February 20, 2014
By Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
40 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you try and teach a fish to climb a tree, it will live it's life forever thinking that it is dumb. ~Albert Einstein


I'm tired of being called names or being scolded for something I never did. I'm tired of having terrible friends. Well, not terrible. My friends themselves are not terrible. Humans are just terrible. Thats their nature.

But that's exactly what irritates me the most. The excuses we use. "We all make mistakes, we are only human," and, "It's just human nature..." It's just human nature to what? To suck? To suck like school, to suck like the life society has shaped for every human being?

Yeah.

Yeah, I guess so.

But it shouldn't be an excuse anymore. Since we've said those things for so long, I think that we're forgetting what we're supposed to do. Repent. I'm not saying that we should all sacrifice ourselves for our wrongs or anything, but when you're a little kid and you do something wrong, they tell you to say sorry.

They tell you to say sorry, and they tell you to mean it.

Do you mean it?

When we do something wrong, like smoke or do drugs, and blame YOLO and the human nature thing, then we should probably stop doing what we had to said sorry for. Stop smoking. Stop doing things that will hurt you and/or other people.

Like, for example, if you, say, slapped a little kid in preschool, and you said, "Sorry. It's just human nature," and then just kept slapping the little kid, you would probably get a restraining order.

But marijuana doesn't give out restraining orders.

All these things that humans are doing form a little trail over time. There's a certain pattern that we have grown accustomed to, and I'm pretty sure I won't stop hearing "We all make mistakes..." anytime soon.

Look at America's favorite druggie, Justin Bieber. He's hurt a lot of people's feelings in the past few months. Guess what, America? He went to jail. But he bailed himself out with his endless money. He's not going to stop calling ladies, 'Whale's", and yes, he actually called a woman that. He's not going to stop with the endless drugs. He's not going to stop partying and doing illegal stuff.

Because, guess what?

It's FUN. It's COOL.

And everybody is following in JB's footsteps because he is an "idol." Some idol you got there, USA. Rock on.

Why do we promote him? I've been on Justin Bieber's blog and there's hate mail, and profanity, and then there're the kids who go on there just to defend him, saying, "He's only nineteen, he's allowed to make mistakes."

Oh, okay. That's good. I guess I'll just throw my life away too, because, hey, I'm "allowed to make mistakes."

That's what I'm talking about! Of course we make mistakes, but we shouldn't have to make THE SAME MISTAKES twenty million times until we finally get it! Can’t we try doing something right? What’s wrong?

You don’t want to?

Boo hoo.

This is why, sometimes, I imagine myself becoming a scientist and creating a formula where everybody can see about people what I see. Our potential, and our temporary flaws. The formula’s ingredients would be simple: Courage, Hope, Faith, Selflessness, and Kindness. The only problem would be that I really don’t have enough of those for everybody. And I couldn’t be that scientist, because no one would listen. I couldn’t fix everyone, no, not ME.

But they can fix themselves.

I can fix myself. Maybe...if only everyone wanted to do it, too. America wouldn’t be seen as the really rich and big-headed country, it would seem like the country that other countries could look up to. The one where, instead of wars, there are negotiations. Instead of terrorism, there are tourists from all over.

But it’s got to spread. It could start with one kid, then their friends, then their families, then their friends friends and their families families. And then it could be a town, maybe a city. Two, three…six cities. A state. Ten states...twenty.

Maybe even fifty.

Maybe one day. If we just all muster up enough “formula” for ourselves.
I think we have the Courage.
I Hope for our future.
I have Faith in us.
I’ve seen a few acts of Selflessness lately.
I see some Kindness a little more every day.

It might even be enough for all around the fifty states. If we just try, and instead of saying, “It’s just human nature,” when we do wrong, we could say it when we do something right.