Regret | Teen Ink

Regret

February 17, 2014
By MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
16 articles 6 photos 66 comments

Have you ever done something and later wished you hadn’t? Well, I have. I was home babysitting my little brother and sister. My dad was at work in Wyoming and was not supposed to come home that night, and Rosie and Steve had been put to bed. I let the dogs inside then locked the doors and headed downstairs, getting to work on cleaning.

After things were tidied up, I decided to put up some posters I had found in my room on the ceiling before I went to bed. So I went upstairs to get some pushpins, placed them on the windowsill, and started to hang up the posters. By this time it was about eleven o’clock.

I was reaching down to get another pushpin when someone knocked on the window. I immediately thought it must be a burglar, because several times before people had broken into cars in the driveways around the neighborhood stealing things varying from a box of Pop-Tarts to my grandpa’s GPS. So I decided I would scare the person away, hopefully for good. So I shrieked then thumped on my window, thinking the burglar would sprint away in fear and surprise and never come back. With this strategy in my head, I began to strike the window. After three hits I broke it, but I ignored this and continued to pound.

In all the commotion, I managed to spill the box of push pins. My little siblings, hearing my screams, had run down to my room, and were frantically asking questions as to what happened. It was a confused mess. Suddenly came the squeak of the front door opening. My little sister ran upstairs to see who it was; meanwhile my little 6-year old brother cleaned the cut on my hand and put a bandage on it. I slept on the couch for the night and found that the ‘burglar’ was my dad.

I learned that if someone knocks on your window you should run, otherwise you may have a broken window and a scar for a while, also that you should stay calm when frightened.