Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

Stop Bullying

By immaprojector BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
immaprojector BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

You know my name, not my story. You heard what I've done, not what I've been through

Did you know that 4,400 people commit suicide a year because of bullying? There are also at least a hundred attempts a year. Kids stay home from school, get cyber bullied, and kill themselves because of bullying. It needs to stop!

Every year more than 160,000 kids stay home from school to avoid bullying. In 2009 16 year old Brooklyn Wilson got bullied at school, kids would call her fat, a cutter, and ugly everyday. Brooklyn never wanted to go to school, she felt like she wasn’t good enough. One day the bullying got to much to take, and she started cutting herself, then it went to thinking of suicide. Her friend tried to talk to her, but it didn't work so Brooklyn dropped out and swore she’d never go to school again. In 2010 13 year old Linzey Lincoln was being bullied. People called her four eyes, fat, ugly, no good, a waste of space, and unwanted. She let what people say get to her and she told her mom that if she made her go to school then she was going to run away. She stopped going to school for a month. Her mom let her switch schools but the bullying still continued. Everyday she thinks about cutting or committing suicide but she swore to herself she wouldn’t because of her mom. These girls did nothing wrong, they just tired to be different. They will never be able to go to college, get a good job, or do good for there kids all because of bullying.

Over half of teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying. 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyberthreats online everyday. In 2009 13 year old Hope Witsell forwarded an inappropriate picture of herself to a boy she liked. Another girl used the boys phone, found the picture, and forwarded it to every student in the school. People everyday called her degrading names and told her they can’t wait to see her on 16 and pregnant. The next day Hope wrote in her journal. "Tons of people talk about me behind my back and I hate it because they call me inappropriate names! So secretly TONS of people hate me … " School authorities found out about the inappropriate photo around the end of the school year and suspended Hope for the first week of eighth grade, which started in August. When she returned to school, a counselor observed cuts on Hope's legs and had her sign a "no-harm" contract, in which Hope agreed to tell an adult if she felt inclined to hurt herself. The next day, Hope hanged herself in her bedroom. In 2012 Kenneth Weishuhn Jr. got bullied every day for being gay. Kids online and at school called him an inappropriate name, told him to find Jesus, said he was a waste of space, tired to fight him, pushed him in the hallways, and told him to drink bleach. After about a week Kenneth hung himself. he couldn’t take it anymore. What did they do to deserve to die? Why can’t it stop?

It’s sad to know that people want to take their lives because of how cruel people are. Why can’t it stop? Stand up and make a change! Make it stop!

I wrote this piece in Language Arts & everyone loved it.

billiegirl73 said...
on Feb. 15 2014 at 10:54 pm
It is a sad world that we live in now that such things occur. What is wrong with the world today? Lord Jesus is coming again and He will not be very happy when he does.