A Wave is Born | Teen Ink

A Wave is Born

By stephspillius SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
stephspillius SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

A wave is born. It starts as a rising of water then smoothly curls over and crashes down, only to be drawn back to repeat itself. The sun sets and casts a cluster of warm tints on the water. The beauty of this wave is mesmerizing yet dangerous. I decide to ride anyway.
I climb my board and wait patiently. I feel the water and my instincts tell me it is time. My heartbeat increases. An adrenaline rush. I paddle with all my strength, trying not to think about form. It should all come naturally, just like the wave.
I quickly rise up on my board but with precaution. Balance is key. When I first catch the wave, I can’t help but smile. This is it. A wave is born.
Standing on my board, I flow with the wave as if I am the water. Freeing my soul, body, and mind while I live in the present, because right now is what matters.
With ease, the water settles, and tranquility sets in. I jump off my board, and feel the end of the wave pass over above me. I am in a different world; a different mindset. Rising up, I retrieve my board, and catch my breath.
With every wave comes a new experience. I become more attached to the ocean within each unique wave I ride. Like a wave, I rise and fall, but always find a way to bring myself back up. A wave is born.