The World of Music | Teen Ink

The World of Music

By gowritingmusic SILVER, San Diego, California
gowritingmusic SILVER, San Diego, California

If you think you can do it, anything is possible

Picture yourself in a world devoid of life: a world lacking music, enjoyment, happiness, and color. The moment you step outside, you see a lifeless, stagnant environment. A shroud of mist surrounds you, and you feel lost and incomplete in this gray, dull expanse of space. Suddenly, off in the distance, you hear a soft tune wafting towards you as a mix of unique sounds gradually fills the atmosphere. Captivated, you dig deeper into its intriguing melodies, and you break out of the prevailing darkness, free with imagination and ideas. This was how I felt when I found music.

We all yearn to have a world enriched with life and humanity. Music plays a role in bringing these characteristics alive, and allowing imagination to expand. It is a universal symbol of peace, and is a very important aspect in my life. Music can be perceived differently by many, but it is agreed that music is the solution to happiness.

One such man that has brought a significant change to the the world of music is Lang Lang, a famous world piano player. He had a very rough childhood, and he could barely support his piano education. In addition, his teacher treated him with contempt and disrespect, but his passion of music and great determination, lead him to succeed eventually as a renowned pianist. Music not only brought pleasure to his life but also to the world.

Music comes in all varieties; from classical, baroque, to modern day jazz and rock-n-roll. No matter what type of songs, they all give off a message to the world. For example, Moonlight Sonata, a song composed by Beethoven, is a very deep grave song, but there is a story embedded in it. The story is about a man who experiences a lost friend and un-shared love by a romantic moon lit night. These music composed by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and other famous musicians have a source of power, depth, and melody. The complex yet beautiful melodies are pleasing to the ear. Each composer brings a different color to their pieces they paint; if there is light there is shade.

“Music is the language of the universe,” says Dotan Negrin, founder of Piano Across America. It gives off a message that can be understood by all, regardless of their education or class in the society. It stretches creativity and allows one’s mind to think beyond. To me, music means more than just melodies, music is something I can lean on for support, it is the state of a timeless adventure as I journey through the pages.
This is why music stands as a very important part in my life. Whenever I play the piano, it envelops me in its wonderful tunes. My body starts to relax as the accumulated tension built in me subsides and a wonderful sensation seeps into my heart.

When my fingertips touch the smooth keyboard, music surges through me and plays as it wishes, creating a special world of wonders. In front of me lay the piece of music, and all I have to do is to bring life out of it.

From the beginning, I have always been interested in music. I would always be awed by anybody who played the piano, and am always eager to listen to various rhythms and tones. I started playing when I was six, and now at 13 my love for piano has grown passionately. I remember begging my mom and dad to let me learn the piano. Whenever I traveled to China, I’d always love to listen to my grandfather who had an unusual talent for the piano. I was amazed at this special talent in which once he could hum the songs, he can play it. My grandfather inspired me and his playing enabled me to develop a sturdy foundation in music.

When I'm restless and tired, my spirits rise once tunes and rhythms touches my ears, and I feel more secure. Unlike many piano players, I don’t play because of competitions, but I play for the sake of enjoyment. Given the opportunity to enter competitions, I would always make it to the finals with a triumph of a first or second place trophy.

I don’t plan to play piano as a career, but being able to have the experience is the most important. It is place of comfort I can be in when I'm encountering hardships or frustrating moments at some points in my life.

Last summer, I had to undergo the ordeal of a surgery because of leg deformities. I almost lost hope in recovering, but the soothing music of Mozart lifted my hopes. They not only brought me peace, but they also soothed me at times when I just couldn't bare the excruciating pain. They had the power to take my mind off of the pain.

Piano has been and will always be a realm of enjoyment and excitement. Music is a second part of my soul and to play the piano makes my soul intact, and whole as it rests in peace. This is the place fulfilling my heart, a home to my soul, a place I find like paradise.