Haunted Houses | Teen Ink

Haunted Houses

By meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

In October, haunted houses open up on nights and weekends. High school junior, Austin; sophomore, Carly; and teacher, John Hoch have spent their October weekends at haunted houses.

Konen visited the state’s largest haunted house at the Waukesha Expo Center. Austin has gone to this particular haunted house for three years in a row now.

“I love this haunted house because the theme is different every year, so it always has something new to offer and it has never disappointed me. My friends and I go every year,” says Austin.

Hoch says he stopped attending haunted houses when he was 19, but he also said he is going this year with his nephew. Hoch is going all over Wisconsin to look for the best haunted house he can find yet.

“I stopped going to haunted houses when I was in college because none of them ever really scared me, but I am determined to find one that will scare me to death this year,” says Hoch.

Students and staff usually attend haunted houses on the weekends. Hoch plans to attend on Halloween night while Austin and Carly plan to attend weekends in October before Halloween because they have parties planned on Halloween night.

“Since there is usually a lot of other stuff going on Halloween night, like pumpkin smashing, toilet papering, trick or treating, or costume parties, I usually go to haunted houses any weekend around Halloween that isn’t Halloween night,” says Austin.

Carly, Austin, and Hoch all attended the Waukesha Expo Center Haunted House which is the largest in Wisconsin.
The price for the haunted houses is $30.00, but the speed pass is $45.00. The speed pass allows the visitors to essentially skip the line. The line typically gets to be a long way, and visitors who are anxious to get in right away, would buy the speedpass.
Celebrating their 10th year anniversary, their newest haunted house includes a carnival themed house.
Hoch says, “The Waukesha County haunted house was pretty boring, but this year the Waukesha County one looks pretty scary because it’s a clown theme and I’m terrified of clowns.”

“I’m going to the haunted house in Waukesha next weekend because my brother had went to it previously and said it was pretty scary,” says Austin.

The haunted houses are open every weekend in October from 7.00 p.m to 11.30 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, and on Thursday nights, they are open from 7.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.

I am so excited for this years haunted houses,” says Carly, “It’s going to be a blast.”