A Letter to You | Teen Ink

A Letter to You

By ListenToTheNonsense320 PLATINUM, Hallandale Beach, Florida
ListenToTheNonsense320 PLATINUM, Hallandale Beach, Florida

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Beatrice Evelyn Hall.
"Stones are raw, they blunt my paw, but words will never hurt me." (The Sight, David Clement-Davies) And many more...

Sweetie,

I'm sitting in the backseat of the car and the speakers are playing melancholic music from my iPhone. I'm silently looking out the window while the people around me all share in silence, some engaging in small banter that dies off in matters of seconds. It's dark out and as we continue to drive north it gradually gets colder and colder. I'm wearing nothing but sweatpants, a blue shirt, and a beanie and I feel the goose bumps on my skin. I rub my hands on my arms, my gaze never leaving the cold window pressed against my forehead as I stare out into the night.

The sky is illuminated with stars that normally shy away behind the lights of the city where I live. We're still a ways to go and the ever-changing scenery as well as the passing hours have made me weary. That's when I realize the lyrics are singing into my heart, my drowsiness has made me drunk, the coldness of the air has made me lonely, and my mind is suddenly filled with memories of you.

I'm burdened with the pain of losing you. I'm filled with the longing of being in your arms once again on a cold night like this. I feel minuscule as I stare out into the vastness of the sky. I'm reminded that out of billions of stars, I chose you. Yet, I couldn't shine bright enough for you.

I still have the feelings we once felt for each other. The moments we shared are my memories to keep. I'm reminded of the bittersweet past, how it seemed so much better than now. But no one can take away my memories. They belong to you and me. I reminisce and smile with a single tear rolling down my face. I hope when you look back, I'm not a memory you regret.

Suddenly, I'm brought back. I'm in the backseat of the car again. I'm still looking out into the cold, dark sky. We're off the highway and have found a place to eat. Everyone shuffles out of the car with smiles and shivers on their faces. I get off as well, forcing a smile and join in on their happy expressions.