A Girl on the Mat | Teen Ink

A Girl on the Mat

By Caitlin_Marie SILVER, Antioch, Illinois
Caitlin_Marie SILVER, Antioch, Illinois

Doing nothing is for the dead.

I walked into the gym. I was 11 years old. At my very first wrestling meet.
Dressed in my gym uniform, the green singlet and under armor beneath it. All my time in practice was leading up to this. I was excited.
I noticed of the other boy, members of the other team watching as I passed. They began talking about me, and the other girl on my team. Not caring that we were within ear shot.

“They have girls!” one boy exclaimed.

“I hope I get to wrestle one,” another laughed.

“That would be an easy win,” another added.

They continued, so I moved towards the other side of the gym. Away from their looks, and sometimes disturbing comments.

As we warmed up a boy from the other team approached me.

“What weight are you?” He asked.

“80,” I replied.

He walked away, and said something to another boy, their 80 pounder. Who looked almost afraid by the comment.

The matched started and I began warming up. As I was doing this, so was the other teams 80 pounder. I saw his teammates laughing at him. Whispering things then looking at me. Any excitement I had was gone. I was angry,upset and increasingly anxious.

I knew there would be comments like this, but I wasn't prepared. I didn’t want to wrestle anymore. I wanted to sit down and cry or run out of that gym. But I couldn't do that my match was next.

I pulled on my head gear and went to check in. As I walked some parents gave me dirty looks.

I shook hands with the boy, and the whistle blew. The match started and I forgot all the feelings. The only thing I could focus on was this match. He took me down, I stood back up. I attempted to take him down, he blocked me.

During the second period he pinned me. We shook hands again, and his arm was raised. I went back to my teams side, and sat down. I felt ashamed. As if I proved them right. That losing showed not only I, but all female wrestlers were weak. I decided I had quit.
But as I watched the matches go on. Including another girl’s on my team, it occurred to me. I enjoyed this sport, and I would miss it. I couldn't let this stop me.
So I went to practice the next day, and the meet 2 days later. I lost that match too, but the only thing I thought about after, was how I could get better.

I have been wrestling for 4 years now, and have to deal with many rude comments. I've wanted to quit several times, including after my first match.