Shooting at my High School | Teen Ink

Shooting at my High School

By Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

"Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be." Sonia Riccoti

The students who were present in the cafeteria on August 27th, 2012, are still filled with the vivid imagery of that day. I can still smell the gun smoke, hear the repetitive screaming, and imagine the over crowded lunchroom filled with smiling faces emptied in a matter of moments. Some people are still too petrified to sit at the same table or go through the same routine. I find myself constantly questioning everyone's innocence. After the first shot was fired, I looked behind me and standing only a few feet away was what appeared to be a large black cannon pointing directly into the sea of students. Every single detail felt exaggerated by my fear. The few terrifying minutes spent on the sticky cafeteria floor felt like hours. Everyone was racing out of the cafeteria doors while I stayed underneath the table, too petrified to move. As I began to slowly creep out from under the table, I prayed that the gunman wouldn't break free of Mr. Wasmer's grip. Once I was out from under the table, I saw Daniel standing directly in front of me with a visible gun shot wound on his back. I stared at it for a moment as the event became less like a dream and more like reality. A women screaming “He's been shot! A boy has been shot!” broke me out of my daze. I began sprinting for the cafeteria door without wasting precious time to grab my cell phone and books. With only one shoe,
I made it outside, but with an image of the bloody wound growing larger on Daniel's back glued to my mind. It is an image that I will never be able to forget. Microphones and cameras were already there to greet the students as they anxiously poured out of the school doors. My father and three older brothers picked me up and took me home, where my mother was waiting for us. We instantly turned on the T.V and on almost every news station was “Breaking News! Shooting at the high school.”

This is a news story that I can call one of my own. This is a news story that replaced my innocent mind set with a more realistic perspective on life. I watch the news almost every night with my parents. When we hear stories about tragedies, we always sympathize with those who experienced them. When I hear about other people's misfortunes, my stomach forms a knot with empathy. I feel like I know what those people must be going through. After having witnessed our school shooting, I realized that I really have no clue how those people are feeling. There is an absolute different perception with hearing or reading about an event, as opposed to actually living through one. Now when I watch the videos of the Columbine shooters, comes a flood of familiar emotions rushing back. I can relate with everything those students were going through. After watching the news report on the Sandy Hook shooting, I couldn't believe that so many children had to feel such a gut wrenching pain. Before I experienced a school shooting, I never could have related to these news stories. Now when I hear about gun violence, I get and awful feeling bellowing inside me. News media allows such an in depth look into the lives of people that it feels like we are there with them every step of the way. Media allows us to comprehend each other at a deeper level. In my case, the school shooting news reports put me back in a familiar setting. The feel of the entire news story changes once you genuinely understand and experience it.

I was inspired to write about my experience with the Perry Hall High School shooting because it impacted my life in a huge way. It made me grow up way faster then i had hoped to. It brought my school closer together because we were all there for one another. It took a lot away from me, but it also gave me new a new insight on life.

ninjaballerina1234, Eureka, Missouri

everything is always ok in the end if everything is not ok its not the end

your welcome (:

Acaruso BRONZE said...
Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

thank you so much for your feedback, you really have no idea how that made my day. you are a very optomistic person and i thank you dearly for that. 

ninjaballerina1234, Eureka, Missouri

I am so sorry for what you had to go through no one should ever have to witness anything like that, but I just want you to know that the world can change and people can change. The world that we live in is full of hate and corruption, greed and dispare, but what if its not. What if thats just how we see the world. What if everything is wonderful, but we can't see it because all people tell us is the bad. You are a strong and amazing person and the fact that you wrote this amazing article to show people the horror of these situtations is wonderful, but just remember that the world is sick, but we can heal it.