Seatbelt Usage in North Carolina

North Carolina Department of Transportation
1 S Wilmington St.
Raleigh, NC 27601

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am currently enrolled in high school, and as an assessment in English III Honors, we were to pick a topic that is relevant to ourselves, and come up with a solution. I chose seatbelt usage in North Carolina. As you know, our seatbelt usage has decreased over the years, and that can cause life threatening issues.

Dying from not wearing a seatbelt happens to all drivers who take the chance. There have been multiple accidents in which the driver/passengers were not wearing their seatbelt, and it have cost them their lives. On the other hand, wearing a seatbelt and being in a wreck, can make the situation worse by causing injuries to the neck, chest, throat, and they can also keep people trapped in the car when in a wreck.

As a solution I chose to make cars that will stay immobilized until the seatbelt is clicked. Since cars can detect whether you have a seatbelt on or not, we should take it to the next level. In 2010, North Carolina had 1319 fatal accidents and 63% of the deaths could have been prevented by wearing a seatbelt.

This is how it will work: have you ever heard of a Breathalyzer? This seatbelt ignition interlock system will work something similar to that of a Breathalyzer. It will keep the car immobilized until the driver and, if necessary, passenger and backseats seatbelts are clicked.

Thank you for taking your time and reading my letter. I hope that you will consider this solution and how many lives it will save in the future. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Chmira G.