A Day in the Life of a Neonatal Nurse | Teen Ink

A Day in the Life of a Neonatal Nurse

By CatieK97 SILVER, Madisonville, Louisiana
CatieK97 SILVER, Madisonville, Louisiana

"...and if you get the choice to sit it out or dance, DANCE!"

What is a neonatal nurse?

A neonatal nurse is a nurse that specializes in caring for newborns, typically up to 28 days after their birth. The word, "neonatal," comes from the Greek word, neo, meaning new, and the word the Latin word nasci, which means "to be born." A neonatal nurse typically provides care for newborns who experience complicatioms shortly after birth. As a neonatal nurse, you can work in either level I, II, or III. Some neonatal nurses will care for an infant for 2-3 days, the typical amount of time a perfectly healthy baby and mother stay in the hospital. Other neonatal nurses can spend up to 2 years with an ill child, depending on the severity of their complications. Being a neonatal nurse is a stressful, but rewarding occupation.

Evolution of Neonatal Nursing

In the early 20th century, a shift occurred in childbirth. More babies were being delivered in hospitals, and fewer at home. In the 1950s, doctors began creating the field of neonatology, or the care for newborns. The occupation of a neonatal nurse surfaced in the early 1970s as women started to become a more important role in society. Also, more advanced technology was available for sickly neonates, and there was a shortage of physicians working in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). Women were hired as neonatal nurses, and they specialized in the care of unhealthy infants. The profession has greatly expanded within the last few decades, and now neonatal nurses are considered to be critically important healthcare providers for neonates who, otherwise, would have never had a chance at life.

Levels in Neonatal Nursing

As a neonatal nurse, there are three possible levels you could work for. Level I is the easiest and level III is the most difficult. As the level increases, so does the severity of of the neonate's condition. On an average day on the labor and delivery floor, a level I neonatal nurse will care for mainly healthy newborns. Level I nurseries are not as common, as most newborns share a room with their mother. The job of a level I neonatal nurse consists of helping to change diapers, wash, and feed the babies. A level II neonatal nurse works with neonates are not healthy, but do not have immediate, life-threatening complications. These nurses usually provide oxygen, IVs, and feeding to ill infants. In a Level III nursery, more commonly known as the NICU, neonatal nurses will care for critically ill infants. Neonates in a Level III nursery have a range of complications such as drastic prematurity, birth defects, infections or illnesses, and more. Some babies in the Level III nursery require special care ranging from the first few days to the first year(s) of its life. Many of these babies are on ventilators, in incubators, or need surgery to fix life-threatening birth defects.

Effects of Being a Neonatal Nurse

Most neonatal nurses claim that the physical stress in taking care of newborns is much less stressful than when caring for adults. Of course, this is because newborns usually only weigh up to 10 pounds at the most. There is not as much pressure on the back when lifting and carrying babies as there is when trying to tend to a grown person's needs. Emotionally, however, many nurses cannot handle it. Losing an infant is a very hard thing to cope with, especially if that baby has been in the nurse's care for a long time. The stability of an infant's medical condition can change on a very short notice, so the nurses must constantly be on their toes and not let the emotional stress of their job overwhelm them. The NICU is also very chaotic and stressful. Most nurses care for 3-8 babies at a time. A lot of times, walking into the NICU, the nurse finds that she has lost three babies, but gained four more. You have to be able to handle chaos and the loss of multiple infants at a time, without letting the sadness consume you. Working as a neonatal nurse is also a very rewarding job. When a nurse sees a baby going home healthy after having been in the NICU for months, all of the emotional challenges become well worth it.

How To Become A Neonatal Nurse

Treating critically ill newborns requires a good amount of medical skill, because a newborn does not have the ability to communicate with their nurses. I newly born baby cannot say that their stomach is hurting them, or that they feel weak, etc. In that case, a neonatal nurse must be able to recognize any problems an infant might have without being told directly from their patient. In order to become a neonatal nurse, one must become a registered nurse (RN). If a student wishes, she can then become a nurse practitioner (NP), but everyone must first become a registered nurse. To qualify as a registered nurse, one must have their bachelor's degree from four years in a university or college. A neonatal nurse must also be certified. To obtain certification as a neonatal nurse, the student must acquire at least two years of experience as nurse; that is a minimum of 2,000 hours. The student must also complete and pass the national certification exam. The cost of the exam is $325 and is extremely difficult. After passing the exam, the student becomes certified as a nurse and can begin work.

What Does A Neonatal Nurse Get Paid?

A neonatal nurse's salary ranges, depending on where you live. On average, a neonatal nurse gets paid about $66,000 a year. It can range anywhere from $44,000 to $95,000 though. A more experienced nurse, of course, earns more than young nurse who is just starting out in her career.

Overall, Is A Neonatal Nurse A Good Career?

Being a neonatal nurse isn't for everyone. The person must be able to work in a chaotic environment filled with stress and worry, show an interest in science and nursing, and desire to help save the life of infants and bring comfort to their families. If you posses all of these qualities, a neonatal nurse would be a great career for you.

I wrote this trade article for an individual project in my Creative Writing class because I have always been interested in neonatal nursing!