The Ride of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

The Ride of a Lifetime

September 25, 2013
By princessrachel GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
princessrachel GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
17 articles 2 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
You have to be willing to sacrifice who you are for what you can become.


I was surrounded by water and the water was surrounded by forest; the most beautiful scenery my eyes have ever witnessed. I was going 70mph and I couldn’t catch my breath. I was trapped, but even if I could escape, I would choose not to. I’ve never experienced anything as amazing before; this was truly and sincerely exhilarating. In the moment, I prayed that I would be able to remember this feeling. For in times of sadness and anger, this could be my happy place.
The sun was shining bright, the air was humid, and if I were to rewind time to just a few previous moments, I would be sitting on my sun chair sweating. I was bored and completely consumed by earthly worries. The summer was almost over and I needed money for new school clothes, I had a lot I needed to get done, I was fighting with my friend, waiting on text messages, worrying about how I looked and the list goes on. My brother and cousin pulled up in front of us in the bay after just finishing their ride. As I stared into space day dreaming, my uncle asked me if I wanted to go on with him. I agreed to join him, quickly put a life jacket over top of my bathing suit and hopped on.

My uncles jet ski, it was bright red and big enough to hold about three people. In a way it sounds too simple for its true value. It’s like a motor cycle in water, but it’s better. My uncle asks me if I am ready and then he starts the engine. First, we cruise by some houses located directly near the bay. “I bet it would be calm and peaceful to live there.” I thought to myself. We keep going and the more distance, the faster the speed. Across from us going the opposite direction there is another jet ski, we wave to the person in control and he waves back. My hair is pulled back tight in a hair tie, but it still manages to go every direction. I hate the wind and I hate when my hair is messed up, yet I didn’t mind at all. This was interesting, this was different.

Although nothing dramatic really happened, I was not the same person I was before. Why was I so worried just a few minutes ago? What was even wrong? My thoughts were clear. The future is not important, the past is over, and all is okay.

I was in and out of thoughts, part of me there and part of me in another world. We were at a turnaround spot, the most exciting part, but most likely the scariest if you’ve never been on a jet ski before. At this part, we spin in circles extremely fast a few times just for fun. While you do turns, the water rises above and onto you, misting where the sun is normally glaring. This is my favorite part. After this, my uncle asks me if I want to drive us back. He and I switch places and even though I have to focus now, I still enjoy the ride.

They say that it’s the smaller things in life that truly mean the most. It was just an average summer day and I was just a typical teenager who was anxious for the future, but sad to say goodbye to the past. In a sense, my view of myself was a little clearer from how it was before. I was young and full of potential. I went on a ride, a beautiful Jet Ski ride. I guess it takes a lot of insight to see the inspiration in something so simple. The ride has come to an end, but it will always be my happy place and now I’ll always know there’s so much more to this life than just our earthly worries.