Ruby star flowers | Teen Ink

Ruby star flowers

By emilybean BRONZE, Hemet, California
emilybean BRONZE, Hemet, California

I was seven years old when ruby was born. Before that I was the only grandchild, the baby in my family. Ruby’s mom Delta is my cousin but more like my aunt because her and my mom grew up like sisters. Delta had come down from college in San Francisco to live with us one summer. Delta and our pool guy fell in love and soon they were both living with my mom and me. I was the baby in my family; I always wanted a baby sister, the one thing my single mom couldn’t give me.

It was a Tuesday night. I came home from school expecting my favorite cousin Delta to cook me some exotic homemade vegan lunch as usual, but instead after she helped me with my homework we made play dough, something we only did together on Christmas or Easter. When my Mom got home a 6 we went out to Sizzler, my favorite at the time. Once we were seated, Mom with her usual salad, Delta with soup, and me with spaghetti and meatballs. My Mom told me we went out to eat for reason. I remember being afraid I was in trouble. Delta must have been able to tell, “We have good news”, she reassured. “I’m having a baby!” Delta proclaimed. My Mom stared at me, sipping her diet coke. “When?” I asked mouth full of meatball. I had a pool party coming up and I was concerned if it would conflict. “In about 8 months” my Mom answered, I didn’t really know how long that was but I did know my party was in one week, satisfied. I asked “why?” feeling a little discontent that I wasn’t enough for Delta, I think. Delta told me something along the lines of “cause I want to”, and my first grade logic accepted it.I started to be very excited for my new friend.

In the months leading up to Ruby’s birth we visited Sizzler a lot making ice cream creations fit for pregnant Delta. When she got big, I helped her bush her hair and paint her toes. There was a few exciting nights I got to stay a friend’s house on a school night because of false alarms. When the night finally came it was a weekend and I went to the hospital with them I wore a brand new shirt my grandma had got made saying “big cousin”. I brought some toys and had collected for my new friend over the past a few months I sat in the waiting room leaving an empty next to me , filled with toys and a note in Red crayon taped to the chair, in my neatest writing I wrote “this seat is reserved or Ruby Star Flowers”. When I finally saw her I was surprised how smalls he was. I asked how long I had to wait before she could play with me.

It took me awhile for it to sink in that an infant couldn’t play with a 7 year old, as I had expected her too. Ruby slept and pooped and ate and slept some more. I was disappointed, but I never showed it. I loved her, and suddenly I had all this patience to teach her and watch her wiggle. I was no longer the baby in the family and I was taking it better than expected.

Today I and Ruby are more like sisters. Her and her Mom moved out shortly after Ruby’s 1st birthday but they stayed in town. I see Ruby almost every day we are as close as sisters. Just as our Moms are. She is 7 now, and wants a little sister of her own.