A Night to Remember | Teen Ink

A Night to Remember

By Camrynnn_ BRONZE, Hemet, California
Camrynnn_ BRONZE, Hemet, California

Freshman year. Everything is changing. Many doors are opening and you can finally get a sense of who you are. With all these innovations, you seem to have no time for friends or relationships. Constantly we are told our so-called "love" won't last, we're just in high school, or we're too young. They say young love doesn't exist. For me, an impeccable night on the beach my freshmen year showed me that I was in just that. Love.
It all started with a trip to the beach with his family. Around this time a year ago we would have been dating for 7 months, and that's where it all began. We were going to the beach to have a bonfire. There's something about the beach at night that's just so special. I suppose that's what made this night like no other.
As we arrive at the beach, sunset is just approaching. We play an intense game of volleyball before the sun submerges into darkness. As night falls, we start a fire. We eat gooey s'mores by the warmth of the flames. After this, we go off on our own. We sit in the clement sand. We are sitting close and comfortable next to each other. Our sweaters are the only thing separating our bodies. The smell of the salty ocean that is repeatedly roaring in the background is so soothing. But the sound of his voice when he says he loves me is even more admirable.
Little words are spoken. In my head, all I'm thinking is just how perfect this is. Looking back on it now, I realize that this is the night I fell completely in love. In my opinion, loving somebody and being in love with them are two different things. Loving somebody consists of caring for them, such as the love you feel for your family and close friends. Being in love is intensively incomparable. You hold nothing back from this special someone. You're not afraid to be yourself with them and nothing can tear you two apart. You're inseparable.
To be honest, the simplicity of this night was amazing. I'm the type of girl that would rather have a meaningful night over an expensive one. To this day, I'm still with this boy. Although it's an elongated amount of time away, we love to plan our future together. This is indeed my first love, but it's also the only love I need.