Volunteering @ My Local Library

This summer I decided to dedicate my time to my public library throughout June & July. Since I'm too young to work this was the next best thing. It's not like a punishment to me (the library is one of my favorite places to be-my next outside)you can't force me outta there. You can see volunteering in to positive different ways. 1.) This is preparation and experience for getting a paying job. 2.) A free way of giving back to your community. The big difference from volunteering to the actual job world is that you can't come and leave whenever you want too and you get paid. Now I think about it, you might also get medical benefits. All I did was very simple. Except it started out boring. First I spent about two weeks dusting the non-fiction section (which is the worst place you could have put me to). Talk about boring torture. The clip of the iceberg wasn't so cold when I made it to the religious section. I never knew how many books Joyce Meyers could write! Then they needed my help to set up the children's programs before 4:00. That many consisted of collecting chairs ad moving the kiddie tables to place big boy tables instead. The ages went to about eleven but every time you will see adults and older kids watching the programs anyway. Why bother having anybody sign up? I got to participate in them by; guarding books from being stolen and keeping everything standing from the forces of the wind. They had adult and teen programs but they only have two each. Rip off alert. Other than that they had me clean the movies cases ad replace them alphabetically. You'd think I would have found a movie while dusting ad wiping but never did. The only time I did I got a movie that was "adult check-out only." (It was "The Help.") The greatest part was that I discovered books I wanted to read but could never find from years ago! For example; I first believed they had no Edgar Allen Poe books, sure enough they had one book with several stories combined. Did I mentioned that I donated some of my books I no longer desired anymore. Why let them collect dust when other children or adults may read that same book from generations to come. Imagine a book in your hand that you pass on to a little boy; who passed it to a teenage girl, then gave it to her BFF that showed it to her cousin. The cycle never stops and the one who started it was you. Do not think of volunteering as non-paying labor. Imagine it an experience that helps people in more ways you can comprehend. Volunteering once or twice a day for a few weeks and acknowledge the differences around you. There are so many different places that could use your help despite adolescence. Your local library, a nursing home, a soup kitchen-the list goes on. Google some simple places for volunteering to get started. May I mention that any job loves to know that you volunteer. That means you have experience in the public and the ways of work. You'll have people to write down as previous contacts that knows how determined you are to get the job right-not just done. So please, use your free time or summer to volunteer for your city or town like I did.

SportsStar23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 1:56 pm:
I'm happy that you enjoyed volunteering in your local community. You don't hear many people enjoying that these days. There were a few times in your article where you mispelled something or forgot a word but that just comes from editing and rereading your writing a few times. Overall, I think it's a great article! Good job!

QuartermasterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Keep on volunteering. I'm a boyscout, and have done everything from weeding in the rain to collecting food cans in the wealthy suburbs. Don't you love the feeling of satisfaction when you know that you have helped out another person? Enjoyed your article. I believe the highest quality writing comes from describing our perosnal experiences.  Be careful with your grammer though. I noticed numerous errors, and a couple run on sentences. Also you had several awkward phrases.  ... (more »)

Shade3043This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:05 am:
Hey, I'm happy that you volunteered at a place that you love! :D Great article, great article.

MissExplorationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I support volunteering to the fullest, reading this made me really happy. I have volunteered at my local library as well and still am, along with other places such as the Hospital and the Red Cross. I suggest you should join Key Club if your school has that. It's a club who believes in serving the community, it looks great on college applications too. IT also provides a lot of different volunteering opportunities too. Volunteering does not mean just serving the community, it means to learn a... (more »)