Courage and Climbing | Teen Ink

Courage and Climbing

July 25, 2013
By KLCminionwriter12 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
KLCminionwriter12 BRONZE, Park Rapids, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Sing and dance like nobody's watching
And live like it's heaven on earth :)


In the sweltering heat, my girl scout camp group trudged to the rock wall. It was our second day at camp and we were all anxious to try our skills at climbing. As we reached the site, our counselor, Squishy, was chattering away about how excited she was to help us up the wall. My friends, Emma, Cielo, and Farren and I looked up as we approached the 33 foot rock wall. It seemed to look down on us ominously, daring us to try it. The rock-climbing expert there to help us started explaining how the process would work. She showed us the bright red helmets that glinted in the midday sun. She also showed us how to get into our harnesses; tightening the leg straps and joking with us about not wanting anyone to fall out. Next, she told us about the shiny hardware pieces that would be hooked to the rope that would be holding us to the wall. We learned that these holders were called carribeaners and we swallowed hard because we knew the time was coming.

The more experienced climbers went first. And my friends and I cheered from the ground as we watched the line get shorter And shorter. Cielo and Farren decided to take the challenge first. They both made it about half way up and decided to come back down. Emma and I congratulated them for trying and grew nervous because we were next. We retightened our harnesses and checked our helmets; then we stepped up to the wall. The expert hooked the carribeaners to us and we yelled the commands to our belay team. Everyone was cheering for me but as I turned to the wall, their shouts faded as I concentrated on the task ahead. I started up the wall; feeling around and easily finding hand and footholds out of the big chunky rock pieces. As I got farther up the wall, though, the pieces became sparse. I got a little worriedso I stopped and listened for advice from the other girls. They instructed me on where to place my hands and I also took Squishy's advice to, "stand up tall and stay close to the wall.". With their encouragement and my own determination I made it to the top of the wall! It was a great feeling and I know I will never forget it!

The rest of the camp went on and I continued to learn more about rock climbing and other high ropes activities. To this day though, my favorite is still rock-wall climbing. I now have the confidence in myself and I. My belay team to overcome any challenges that I may face while rock climbing. I've become so confident that sometimes, just to switch it up, I even rock climb blindfold!


The author's comments:
Writing about challenges help me to look back and see what I have overcome!