Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

TinkyWinky said...
I'm creeped Out !!!

Anna L. said...
This was incredibly terrifying! my adrenaline was pumping while reading, expecting something to pop out. I am SO glad I didn't read this while home alone. Great job! 

C810Benally said...
Experiences like this make me sorta glad to live in a city.

countrygirl28This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was eerily creepy and suspensful all at the same time...Wow! I loved how short and simple the story was, too.

Sunny225This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:37 am
That is scary, i never dreamed that really happened to people.

MaddieMP1996 said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:02 am
I completely know that feeling, it drives me crazy. I have had a few experiences like this before, it's creepy, weird, and makes your mind wonder. But i like the story!

sweetangel4life said...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:54 am
i like ur writing style :) i wouldve locked the doors and windows, hide in the kitchen with a butcher knife lol.

Kevinator replied...
Feb. 18 at 3:42 pm
lol dude,but its stil the best plan though

SeaweedKK said...
WOW!!!! I am NEVER staying home alone again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJjoseph99 said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:21 am
Wow! This is a really good article Ashlyn. You did a nice job with all the descriptions. I would give this article an A plus if I was a teacher.

Steph Y. said...
I would be very frightened if that happened to me. I think there could have been a better ending but still nice job describing it I had a movie playing in my head the whole time.

Scribbleaway. said...
Lockk the DOORS.

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So scary! :O I don't know what I would have done... 

Emilya0716 said...
I'm never staying home alone again! nice story

MarieAntoinette2012This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I would sooooooo have called the police... then I would have went to the gun cabinet.... :)

hello1234321 said...
Nov. 1, 2012 at 10:09 am
lock your frickin' doors!!!!!

jilliannicole This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I probably would have called the cops... that is so creepy.

Skookie97 said...
Awesome story. I felt like I was actually there. Not to excited about staying home alone!

UrdurE said...
Sept. 26, 2012 at 8:57 am
I am never staying home alone again. Ever.

beccac. said...
I loved this story. It really had me in suspense. Its one of those stories where you want there to be more. I loved it. Keep up the good work!