Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

WickedlyLove said...
I think we replied to the wrong comment....sorry...ShiGui

ik it isnt something 2 joke about. That is mean

WickedlyLove said...
That's not something to joke about. That's not funny. At all.

renegade said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 9:03 am

Hey, guess what?? that was me!!!

just kidding!! lol

ShiGui said...
Maybe it was a thing that your friend showed up at the right time. Who know what they could have done. I wouldn't want to be home alone after reading this.

LastChapter said...
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

when you said that an unknown prankster/anonymous murderer had whispered "bye-bye" to you over the phone, I was shocked. that's an interesting climax to your story of suspense, and you should've taken advantage of that. You could've added more to it then just cutting it off with your summary sentence of 'lesson learned'. fear was everything in this story, and you snapped away all the mystery by assuring us you got out scot-free, the only harm done being the resentment of alone time at the house. you could've milked it a little more then you did, but i would still say a job well done.

brEEzyBri BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Music speaks what cannot be put into words"

It was good but i could have a more "smooth" ending. I thought that something was really going to happen. The body was good but the ending...not so much.

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

I get that, but no one ever said he had to write a story on that particular subject. 

on Nov. 5 2010 at 9:48 am
cupcake23 BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan

Dance like no one is watching, sing like no one is listening, and love as no one has ever loved before.

I agree with both of you guys the descriptions were great but then it tries to teach a lesson at the end. Was that what you were going for?

BrookXoxo BRONZE, Andrews AFB, Maryland
I agree with it ending so quick like that!

AaronLawrence SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

I may be an idiot, but i'm not stupid

Until you change me enough that i'm convinced I need to change, I won't change

The point is its nonfiction so its true, he had no 'choice' in stories. 

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

I agree. It was well written, but not a good choice in a story. 

Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

The story was well-written and suspenseful, but I felt it ended too abruptly.  It was edge-of-your-seat material, though.  Good work.  

Kiiiidii. said...
I think that your way of telling the story was good, good grammar. But i think it was kinda lame, cause i mean, all you had to do was lock the doors. not hide. Sooo yeah, and this happends to anyone. Just sayin!

pandiibearr BRONZE, New Gloucester, Maine

Enjoy the simple things in life you never know when its gonna end.

this was a very creepy storyy but i likeedd it.(: 

thestorycritic GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

Live life King Size

Wow. That was scary *shudder*

haylzebraz SILVER, Memphis, Michigan

Don't be sad that it's over be happy that it happened.

-Dr. Suess

I can completely relate to that story! Whenever i am home alone I always lock the doors and out the tv up really loud so I can't hear the creaks of my house!

Happyface:) said...
Well written! This was gripping and I was curious about what your curiosity is, but you didn't say it.

Britt:) said...
Your story was intresting! Kept my occupied! Intense. I just wanted to keep reading but it ended!

It was really suspenseful and you had great sentence fluency.