Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Alive and Dead said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:30 am:
WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL THE COPS?????!!!!!!!! I WAS SCARED JUST READING IT!!! THAT WAS REALLY INTENSE

tiedyeelaine123 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:30 am:
I would of been terrified if I were you. I don't really understand why you didn't call the cops, I would've.

i have no name :( said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:29 am:
i liked how you used your words and how discriptive your are and i would of called the cops.

akatheshizz said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:28 am:
That was very frieghtening. I'd truly be scared if that happened. I think you should've called the cops! But it was pretty brave of you to post this.

Dee11 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:28 am:
That was very creepy.

columbine said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:26 am:
i nthink it would be really scary to see a unfamiliar car in my driveway. if i were you i wouldent stay home anymore

lalalala said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:24 am:
so how did he get your number and did you ever find out who did it? and was it yourfriend in the first place?

google said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:23 am:
I liked your descriptive words you used to describe your feelings. I understand how creeped out you were. Hopefully next time your home alone nothing will happen.

mateocancel said...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:01 am:
cool story i want to know the whole thing and reason why it happened

darkangelgina:) said...
i like the story....i wish therr could b more so i can keep reading...

tab p.j day said...
this was a very good story and it made me keep reading 

spongeybobby said...
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING...........*not*

stalkytortiose said...
Who was it?

Fofleman43 said...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 11:18 am:
I like this story, its awesome and very, very true. A lot of people relate to these kind of things lol :]

LoveeIsAMystery said...
I really liked it!! You are an amazing writer!

WritersBliss18 said...
This was fabulously written and i felt like i was with you! I have had similiar experiences where a man who was very scary looking with tattoos and gang markings on his body, actually came to my front door!

KelsieYellow said...
Feels so real.

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 11:17 am:
Whoa, reading this sent shivers up my spine. I can understand why you don't like staying home alone after that experience. I personally love being home alone, just 'cause I love having the whole house to myself, but I'd be scared to death if I had a mysterious caller torturing me like that. Did you ever figure out who was calling you?

RavenBird replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm :

I love it too, i crank up my music and sing as loud as i possibly can :) 

anyways: ditto to what you've said: shivers....

experience said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 2:48 am:
Everyone is human, when they said "Bye-Bye" they were messing with you to get inside you head. With that said, I would of done something like "that's what you think" in a devious way just scare the scarer.