simple lemon | Teen Ink

simple lemon

By crazygracie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
crazygracie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“What flavor would you like?” she asks, running her index and middle fingers through her bleached hair. I order lemon, then stand to the side as I wait for it to come. When she hands it to me, I lick it, the sweet bitterness bringing me back to the first summer that I tried it.

“Just taste it,” Satch said, shoving the cone under my chin. I glanced down before turning my head, giggling. His nails still had sand wedged into his cuticles. He smelled like the beach, a lovely combination of salt and Capri Sun.

“Grace, honestly. We can’t be friends if you don’t.”

The breeze blew my hair, getting a strand stuck in my chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

“Ugh! This is all your fault!” I replied, pulling the lengthy piece out of my cone.

“Pleaseeee try it.”

I imagined a thousand lemons being squeezed onto my tongue at once. “No!”

Satch shrugged. I turned away, then back. I lifted my ice cream to my mouth.

“Ha!” he shouted, slamming his cone into my mouth, the chill against my teeth making me shudder.

“Satchel!” I screamed, jumping up off of the curb. The flavor swirled against my tongue, sweeter than I had imagined.

“Good, huh?” he said, grinning. I kicked my foot at him, in the hopes that it would distract from the smile on my face. It didn’t.

“You like it.”

“No I don’t.”

“Yeah, you do. You smiled.”

I attempted to frown, but my laugh beat it out.

“I hate you! It’s… it’s gross!”

Then we laughed, because we both knew that wasn’t true.