Second Home | Teen Ink

Second Home

May 9, 2013
By Chelsea3160 SILVER, Afton, Oklahoma
Chelsea3160 SILVER, Afton, Oklahoma
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The bright orange ball of gas in the sky is beginning to set on the west end of the field. It is setting directly above the scoreboard which is painted red and black. The grass is green just like what is seen in the movies or on turf football fields. There are worn out lines on the field, left over from the fall football season. The stands are full of people, but they are not here to watch football. They have come here to watch both teams play the world’s favorite sport; fútbol or, as it’s known in America, soccer. One team is wearing white jerseys, black shorts, and white socks. They are the home team; this is their field. Their opponents wear blue jerseys and socks, and white shorts. The referees wear their typical yellow, pinstriped jerseys and black shorts and socks. The blue and white game ball already sits on the line, inside the circle, at the middle of the field. The referees blow their whistles and ask for captains. Two members from each team jog to the middle. While the coach of each team gives a last minute pep talk and tells each player their position, the ref flips a coin in the middle to decide who starts on which end of the field. Then each team gathers in a circle and breaks out. The home team stands in a circle and everyone puts in their left hand. On the count of three they all scream “Lady Reds”. They run out onto their field, into their positions. They stand facing the other team. Their hearts are racing and their breathing begins to quicken. It’s almost here. The fans are on the edge of their seats. The scoreboard operator waits to start the clock. The coaches are tense. The referee blows the whistle. The game begins. We are at home again.