January 5 | Teen Ink

January 5

By Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona

"A wasted day is one without a smile" ;D

It was January 5, a few days after New Years. We just got back to school yesterday and I am obsessed with this boy, Tommy. He’s gorgeous! He has dashing hazel eyes and light brown hair. He has the Justin Bieber-look, with locks of hair wrapped around his head but in an trendy kind of way. He also has a lean body and a muscular build. But, we’ve never met until today. He goes to my middle school, but he’s very popular and I’m not. He’s in a football team and always has girls all over him, and no matter where he is, there’s always a crowd of people around him. I’m the complete opposite. I have medium long brown hair and moon crescent eyes. The only friends I have are Olivia and Lydia, a school bus driver, and my 50 year old neighbor, Mrs. Rueckle. The only thing I have around me 24/7 is my separation-anxiety prone dog, Topaz.

Tommy sat next to me in math last quarter. I was elated! We sat in a U form with Nick, Nadia, and Hunter. I don’t know if my hormones are kicking in or something, but I thought Hunter was cute as well. He had flawless skin, I mean FLAWLESS. There wasn’t a single blemish on his porcelain skin. He also had brown hair like Tommy and neat dark eyebrows that I swear he waxes. And the best part is that he’s best friends with Tommy! Well, there’s a whole group of cute boys that their friends with. Riley’s cute. Edgar’s cute. Josh’s cute. Slade’s divinely cute. Gehrig? Urgh, don’t even get me start! Well, anyways, sitting with Tommy and Hunter definitely had its benefits. For examples, I was the center of their attention; they would ask me math question and I would proudly help them, they would talk to me and I would blush profusely at their warm attention. I began to thrive on our flirty behavior and do whatever possible to earn that praise or smile from one of them.

One day I was feeling particularly happy and I guess Tommy was too because he was hi to me. I thought my heart would burst from the happiness that one word gave me. He shot me one of those award-winning smiles, and my heart melted into a big puddle. During warm ups he asked me questions, like he always does.
“ What’d you get for number 2, Amber?” He asked.
“ 56.8. What’d you get?” I looked of at his sheet. Same answer.
“Same.” He said with a smile.
“Great? What about number 3?” I was eager to get more attention from him.
“ 3x+4. What about you?” He leaned over to me. My heart beat wildly and I inhaled. I caught a sharp tang of expensive deodorant. I sighed pensively.
“Same, Tommy.” I gave him a weak smile. He smiled back. And so we asked each other the rest of the question and answers until Mrs. Christian began grading it. Darn it. I thought. I miss #7 and that was the question I convinced Tommy his answer was wrong and mine was correct, even though his was correct! I braced myself for a sneer. Instead, he turned to me and said casually, “Way to go, Einstein,” and winked at me. “ Oh your welcome, Tommy!” I grinned, my insides shaking. Then I—

Oh no! My teacher’s giving me the evil eye. Guess I gotta go. Talk to you later!