Death Changes People | Teen Ink

Death Changes People

May 10, 2013
By KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."


Death can really change a person. I know it changed me. Adelia was a very bright, smiley baby. She smiled at everyone, even if she didn’t know them. She was ripped away from all of her loved ones by something called SIDS. SIDS stands for sudden infant death syndrome, SIDS currently has no known causes. If affects babies while they are asleep. They say that when a baby is sleeping there shouldn’t be anything in their crib with them until they are at least one year old. That includes blankets, pillows, stuffed animals..etc. People say that once a baby stops breathing in their sleep due to SIDS, you can’t get them back. There is so much research people are doing to find a cause for SIDS and possibly a way to prevent it from happening.

It was December 18th, 2011 when SIDS took Adelia. No one seen it coming. It was so unexpected and took everyone by surprise. She was only six months old, days before her first Christmas, and days before she would be seven months old. She recently cut her first two teeth, and learned to sit up on her own. She loved country music. She even had a favorite song, which is “Dirt Road Anthem” by Jason Aldean. I had her over at my house one day and she was kind of crabby, and she started crying. I tried to play music for her but nothing would work, until Dirt Road Anthem turned on. She immediately stopped crying and started smiling and laughing. I have a lot of wonderful memories with her, but there are no more to come.
December 18th, 2011 started out as a normal day for me. I woke up at noon, but for some reason I had a really bad feeling that something was wrong. But I didn’t want it to ruin my day so i just pushed the feeling away. I went outside with my best friend around five in the evening. At 5:24 my neighbor walked over to my friend and I and told us what happened. I remember how I felt perfectly, it was like my whole world was falling apart all around me. I looked up, trying to keep the tears in. Thinking to myself “Why?” After she told us what happened I went in the house, I didn’t want anything to do with anyone. My family tried to be there for me, but I just pushed them away. The first few months after she passed away, I would come home from school and go straight to my room and lay on my bed. I would stare at the walls and the ceiling for hours, just thinking about her and why she had to go. I did anything to get away from the stupid questions “How are you?” “Are you ok?” I hated those questions so much. But I just forced a smile on my face and said ‘I’m ok.” and walked away. I changed into a totally different person. Adelia’s death took such a toll on me. It’s been over a year since she passed away. It still hurts to know that shes gone. I think about her each and everyday, wondering what she would look and be like. But because of her I am a stronger person today, than I have been in awhile. So it’s true when people say death can change a person. I know it changed me.