Moving Day | Teen Ink

Moving Day

By MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana
MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana

When I was in fourth grade, around February, I burst through the back door after a long day of school. When my brothers were both in the house, my parents told us that we needed to have a talk. What could it be? Are we in trouble? What’s going on? Thoughts were flowing through my head, and by the looks on their faces, I had a feeling it wasn’t something I’d be happy with. So we sat down in our living room to hear those two words, “We’re moving.”
I thought it was a joke. They couldn’t be serious, could they? I’d lived in this house all my life and now, all of a sudden we had to pack up and move. I was devastated. I’d have to leave my friends, my close relatives, and my school. All the memories I’d had in this house would be left behind when June came around. This could not be happening.

When the last day of school came around, I can remember my friends crying and the goodbyes from the teachers I’d had over the years. Yearbook signing, tears, and reminiscing, is basically a summary of the school day. Later that day I went to a pool party to celebrate the end of the year, and I was really sad when it was over. Goodbye friends, goodbye old life.

When we’d finished packing and the last of our boxes were shipped off in the U-Haul truck, it was time to say goodbye. Walking through that house for the very last time is a moment I won’t forget. From room to room, I remembered all of the good and bad times I had there. From fights with siblings, to fun family dinners, from injuries to game nights, it was my home, and I was really going to miss it.

Now, I’ve lived in my new house for almost four years, and I love it so much. I have so many new memories to look back on now. I have a new school which is so great, and I’ve met some of the best people I will ever meet. I have a lot more freedom now because we live in a better neighborhood and I can walk places to be with my friends whenever I want. I have also had a lot of opportunities through my school. I have gotten to go to conventions and activities I wouldn’t even had heard of if I had never moved here. If I had the chance, I wouldn’t go back to the way things were before I moved.

I learned a lot from this moving experience. I learned that nothing lasts forever, no matter how good it is while it lasts. My childhood home was great, but there was no way I could stay there forever. Another thing I learned is that if you look on the Brightside of a seemingly bad situation, you have a better chance of it turning out for the best. Instead of being sad at my new school, I jumped right in a made a lot of friends that I’m so close with now. The final thing I learned is that change can be a great thing. Before we moved I had a lot of negative changes in my life like the death of my grandparents. My family and I moving taught me so much, and has really been a very positive thing for all of us!

Rebecca B.