A Letter to Alcohol | Teen Ink

A Letter to Alcohol MAG

To Alcohol,

You've been in my life forever, but I've never met you, really. Never touched you, never come near you. Though I can't remember life without you, I can remember all the pain you've caused me.

Do you remember the night you almost took my ­father's life? Because I do. He loves you. Sometimes I think he loves you more than he loves me. He's addicted to the way you make him feel, the way you promise to rid him of his problems, only to create more of them. You just sat back and laughed as his car went spinning through the street, crashing into two other vehicles and then flipping over. There were lots of hospital visits that week. He wasn't the only one hurt by you that night.

Do you remember the night of my first high school party? You were there. My friends were intrigued by you and your deceptive ways. They couldn't get enough of you. They treated you as if they were never going to see you again, consuming all they could. I spent two hours helping my friends who had fallen head over heels for you. “I'm so embarrassed,” they said as I held their hair back so they could vomit. “I'm sorry,” they said when I called cabs for them, paying the drivers in advance. I spent all the money I had from the last three months on cabs for friends that night. But I had to clean up the mess you made. “This won't happen again,” they said as they were carted to the hospital to have their stomachs pumped. Two 15-year-old girls slept in hospital beds that night, thanks to you.

Do you remember the night you took advantage of my 17-year-old neighbor who drove to pick up his sister from her dance lessons? Do you know how we felt when he hit another car head-on and killed the two people inside? He died too. His sister, walking home from her lesson, passed police cars and a crowd gathering on the sidewalk. She didn't realize her brother was involved. She never saw him again. And it's all your fault.

I wish you'd walk out of my life forever. I certainly don't want anything to do with you. Look at what you've done. Look at all the pain you've caused. Sure, you've made people happy too from time to time. But the damage you've caused to the lives of millions is inexcusable. Stop luring those I love. Stop hurting me. Stop destroying lives, please.

Sincerely,

Me

A letter I wrote directed toward alcohol, on behalf of those who have been hurt by it. To those of you who have witnessed addiction and/or substance abuse, or have suffered any pain as the result of alcohol, this is for you!

on Feb. 18 2014 at 12:14 pm
Kevinator BRONZE, Johannesburg, Other

Im nothing but a rider

kwl stuff'alcohol is really an enemy to face

DxxL said...
on Jan. 23 2014 at 1:03 am
This is worded so articulately and artfully...I think this piece does such an incredible job of encapsulating the dangers of alcohol. Bravo!

on Apr. 13 2013 at 9:47 am
DreamAngel BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"Without my mind and without my dreams, never will I truly be."

I completely agree. My late granfather used to be an alcoholic...I never knew him when he was addicted but I have a very large understanding of how much he tore up the family...this is so, so true.

on Apr. 12 2013 at 10:09 pm
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
I felt that this article was very refreshing. Even though I don't know anyone who is seriously an alcoholic, but everyone I know drinks. I've rejected alcohol all of my teenage life, and it is very relieving that another teen shares my views on alcohol. Your article was very well written and outstandingly emotional. You are a great writer, and keep up the extrodinary work!