One Unforgettable Walk | Teen Ink

One Unforgettable Walk

By Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona

"A wasted day is one without a smile" ;D

“Dad, you bought a leash? For what?!” I struggled to act nonchalant. Millions of thoughts raced through my head. But one particularly stood out. What could you possibly do with a leash? Oh no, not that. Not—

“I was hoping you can walk Topaz now that he’s growing bigger and stronger,” Dad replied, matter of factly. Translation: Topaz had gotten into trouble with our neighbors and Mr. Winters, our vet, recommended that we properly exercise him to get rid of his mischievousness…by walking him. I found that concept particularly hard to grasp; how are you supposed to stroll a beast? Talk about mission impossible. Just a few months ago, he flunked out of “Superior Pups” training school…along with four other similar schools. He broke our bank account with all the money we had to spend on his massive needs, 20 lbs. of puppy food every month, weekly fees for professional dog trainers, and a laundry list of furniture and rugs we had to purchase. We had to hire a “well- educated dog specialist” to help teach Topaz how to control himself and how to play nicely with other dogs and to perform basic commands, such as sit and stay. Poor Topaz must have been born with half of his brain missing because he didn’t understand anything Mrs. Janon teaches him!

As I glared at my dad, struggling to regain my composure, Topaz barreled into the kitchen. He was drenched. He had his tongue lolled out, speckled with a mysterious red spots. He looked at me cheerfully and I rolled my eyes in disgust. As I peered behind him, I noticed disfigured muddy paw prints scattered across the tile, which my mom fought so hard to remain clean. My mom hurried out from the corner behind Topaz, looking appalled and flustered. Before I could even ask what had happened, she cried, “Topaz dug under the fence and jumped in Mrs. Rueckles pond! He also munched on her prize-winning purple pansies!” I gapped in shock. Topaz? Pond? Flowers? Seriously? Well, that explained a lot!

“That’s it! It’s time Topaz gets some proper exercise,” Dad declared. Then he turned and gave me a meaningful look. Mom got the hint and also looked at me, almost pleadingly.

“Fine.”
* * *

“ Topaz, chill!” I struggled to grip his leash. With his eagerness and desultoriness, adding on the friction I was throwing in, I could have easily lost 5 pounds in just this one walk alone.

Unfortunately, Topaz took no notice of my plead. He peed on every available flower, bush, tree, anything that was pee-able! I remember I sighed in disappointment—I thought he already got a bathroom break before the walk?
As we continued “walking”, I felt a soothing breeze and instantly felt calm. It was the perfect weather, not too hot and not too cold. The warm rays of sunshine seemed to soak into my skin and let all my uncertainties drip away. I glanced up at the beautiful pink and purple sunset, admiring the white speckles that seemed to dance on the darkening sky. Suddenly, a large bird flock soared overhead, crying piercingly. Topaz barked impatiently and began straining at the end of his leash. I reprimanded him sharply, but I don’t think he heard me. He continued to leap up and down, even when the birds flew out of our gaze. As we rounded the corner, Topaz caught sight of a petite Yorkshire terrier and he literally catapulted himself to her. When he finally realized I was holding the other end of the leash, he sat down with his ears perked. The terrier gave Topaz a startled look and growled warningly. I sensed a fight stirring up so I frantically pulled Topaz in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, I’m not the muscly type and could not pull 50 lbs. of sheer muscle…and probably fat as well. Needless to say, Topaz wouldn’t budge and continued to give the other dog “The Stare”. Face flushed, I glanced up at the Yorkie’s owner. He was a freckled face Ginger. He had these startling Caribbean blue eyes and curly orange hair. He smirked at me.

Argh. You’re real sympathetic! At least I don’t have that mop you call a pet!
I tried again. Nothing happened. I decided to fish out a tasty bacon strip. Topaz’s mouth promptly watered and his eyes averted from the Yorkie to me. For what seemed like eternity, Topaz finally mind up his mind; he sprang out and grabbed the treat from my outstretched hand. I dug threw his treat bag again and took out 3 more. I threw them as far as I could, let go of his leash, and watched him dart like a rocket to get the treats. I sneered in self-satisfaction and walked away, leaving the taken -back boy and his furball behind. Regrettably, my pride was short lived; Topaz caught sight of ducks swimming in a nearby pond and raced over there to get a better look at them.

“Topaz!” I called. “Wait for me! Waitttttttt!” As usual, Topaz ignored me and jumped in the pond. I could not believe he did that. As I half ran, half fumed over to the pond, I scrabbled for words to say to my mom when I got back home. The closer I got to him, the faster I ran. I was about a few yards away from him when I stumbled over a heap of rocks. I fell—hard. I recall that I yelped in pain and grasped my bloody knee. I looked around to see if anyone saw, no one did. Thank god. I looked up to see Topaz dog-paddling on hot pursuit to get the ducks. The birds glanced at my over-sized pup and flapped away. I glimpsed down and saw a small section of his leash on the ground, untouched by the water.
Wow, this leash is longer that I thought it would be!
I picked it up and jerked it violently. I heard Topaz coughed. I gripped it and heaved it back. When I turned around, Topaz was on land, soaking wet...again. He padded dangerously close to me and shook himself. Water sprayed all over me. I was covered with fur and water and probably some fish feces as well. My brand new blouse was ruined and my expensive Toms just looked lifeless and muddy…and that was new too! Not to mention bloody knees; blood spilled out of the wound.

“Topazzzzzzzzzz! Your stupid mongrel!” I screamed. I saved him and this is how he repays me?! Why, you unworthy rat! I ranted inside my head.

I marched back to my house, not caring if Topaz was going to follow me home or not. He followed me. He licked my clenched fists and whimpered.

“Go. Away.” It’s amazing how those words escaped my quivering lips.

But he persisted. He ran in front of me, yelping and whining. I ignored him, my gaze never leaving my destination, my house. He finally gave up and scurried behind me, his tail touching the ground. I felt no pity for him. He asked for it.

I remember the first words I said to my awaiting mom were “Can we ship Topaz back to Phoenix? He is seriously the worst dog ever. I’m going to take a long, warm bath now. Bye.” I remember my mom giving me a perplexed look and cooing at Topaz as he dragged himself through our front door. I remember mom giving Topaz a nice warm bath and buying him lots of expensive treats and ignoring me for two whole days because she thought I lacked responsibility and gentleness because of my inability to successfully walk a dog.

I was eventually able to successfully walk Topaz again…3 years later. I guess he finally matured. Looking back, I guess any one can change, even dogs. This memory was important to me because Topaz and I really bonded during that day, in a strange and unexplainable way. I guess any puppy going on a walk for the first time ever can get hyperactive.

This was a personal experience between my dog and I. This event happened several years ago, but I remember all the events clearly as if it happened yesterday. My little boy is all grown up now--physically and mentally!:)