Brony

Have you ever seen a grown man wearing a pony shirt? Have you ever been greeted with a friendly yet awkward “brohoof”? If so you have most likely encountered a “Brony”. Bronies are men usually the age of 13 to mid 30s that watch the show “My Little Pony Friendship is Magic” developed by Hasbro Studios.

The show was designed to have a target audience of younger children 7-10 years old, however older men on the internet board site “4chan.org” started to see the show beyond the colorful animation and kiddie appearance. They started to see values, morals, personality’s, and ultimately the Magic of Friendship. There were also people who generally just jumped on the My Little Pony bandwagon because it confused and even angered people. It was a deviance from society.... Grown men watching a show about ponies?

So much posts about ponies flooded 4chan that anyone who posted about ponies was banned temporarily. Realizing that it was impossible to stop people from posting ponies, 4chan decided to open up a new section of the site devoted to My Little Pony called /MLP/. From there the fan-base had done nothing but grow exponentially.

There is the history of the Brony movement, but why do people continue to watch it? That question has a different answer for every Brony you ask. Though I'll share my reasons; before watching My Little Pony I watched shows that were thrillers, action-packed, and for the most-part violent. One day I realized “wow, these shows are more stressful than enjoyable to watch”, shortly after I went on 4chan.org to browse the /vg/ (video games) section. One of the posts I saw was about My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, I had heard of it before but I really didn't understand the craze.

I was bored so I just decided to watch it on Netflix, the first episode I just criticized the whole thing, thinking to myself how dumb people were. On the second episode however I started to see a deeper meaning in the storyline, at that point I had an epiphany of sorts. I felt so calm watching it, not tired or bored but just tranquil.

I began to realize that each character represented an element of a good friendship; honesty, kindness, laughter, generosity, loyalty, and magic. Watching this show made me realize the true characteristics of a good friend, not only so I can look for people with these characteristics but also sharpen and better my current relationships using this knowledge.

I would never force anyone to watch the show, but if you do I would suggest watching it with an open mind, and who knows? Maybe one day you'll be brohoofing me.

Buddytibo said...
Nov. 13 at 1:24 pm
You did a great explaining what bronies are but to improve your article you could explain more what the show my littlepony is and how bronies came to be.