Past Puppy Love

It’s a nice moment when I can accept the realization that I am over a guy that I haven’t even seen in almost three years. I know I have been for a while because I’ve had the same thought before, that I can listen to a song that he introduced me to without cringing and finding another song to listen to.

I’ll admit I’m not over the way he sometimes made me feel, but I don’t consider that a bad thing; the way I felt when he kissed my cheek or my forehead, or even how I felt when he was just close to me and I could feel his warmth. It’s human nature to desire a sort of intimacy, whether it’s meant in a platonic or a romantic sense. The majority of us desire the latter at some point in our lives.

But I don’t get butterflies in my stomach when I think of him anymore. Thank goodness. I have a twinge of worry for him because of his own personal, self-destructive issues, but even that isn’t very prominent because I don’t think of him often. When I hear certain songs his name will pop into my mind, but it’s momentary and I don’t dwell on it.

How nice it is to move on, from whatever it was: mere infatuation, a crush, or even puppy love. He didn’t treat me kindly sometimes anyway, so I can’t consider it much of a loss. It’s much better this way.