The epiphany

I was born in the upper middle echelon of the Indian society. This meant that I was raised in a very protected and safe environment. Nothing bad ever happened in my vicinity. No terminal diseases, no car accidents, low divorce rates and even the mean girls weren’t so mean.
All this was shattered just because one cell. Yeah, just one tiny, seemingly innocuous, uncontrollably diving cell in my grandma’s breast.
I was 13 when my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Just entered teenage, I was dealing with every girls my age went through- insecurity. I was never pretty enough, smart enough, skinny enough. Every photo of actresses and models was like a stab in my heart.
Although, for me, this phase didn’t last long.
As I saw my grandma’s hair fall out because of chemotherapy, I realized how beautiful my jet black main was. When her hand swelled up due to an infection, my muscular limbs were perfect. When she couldn’t move much, my ability to jog miles without getting winded was amazing. As she gained weight, my 110 pounds were great. When her skin withered and dulled because of the medicines and radiation, my skin was radiant.
Maybe it was shallow or vain, using my grandmother’s life-threatening illness to gain confidence in myself but that’s what cancer does to people- it changes them, it makes them think, I scars them forever. Leaving it’s rand on the patients and the ones who love them.
At last, as she pulled thorough the disease and came back from the mouth of death with a smile on her face and a merry tune on her lips, I was ecstatic to be alive. Even after this ordeal, my grandma was the most beautiful, elegant and the strongest woman I knew and I realized so was I.
So, here I stand, 5’2, coffee-skinned, broad-shouldered, big nosed, with bushy eyebrows and a 28 inch waistline and extremely PROUD

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 6:24 pm:
I love this!!! It sent shivers down my spine when I read the last few lines, you are such an inspirational writer, please keep writing! CX

hood3243This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 5 at 9:28 pm:
I really liked the paralism with your comparisons and your ending "PROUD". Very powerful, good job!

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You conveyed the message well and used your own experience to add emotion and power to your piece. There was a few spelling and grammar mistakes like rand" and "I scars them forever" but apart from that it was well thought out and kept the reader thinking. Good job :)

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 27, 2013 at 8:59 am :
Thanks. And sorry for the typos. I meant "brand" and "It"

Alizz said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:44 am:
Great job! All of your work is just fantastic. You really make people sit back and think for a second about how lucky they are. You would make a great author.

Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:36 am :
thank you, thank you so much. You have no idea what this means to me. You see, i am a closet writer. None of my friends or even my parents know that my passion is for writing........

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2013 at 11:22 am:
I, am proud to say, that i have never been one to complain about my ody, because I am skinny and pretty as it is (well, in my view). As for your peice, great job!! I also wrote a peice like this: it's called cancer if you want to check it out :) Anyway, good job! keep rockin  

lamismaestrella This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Referring to Lechu's comment below, I'm one of those teens! For years, I've struggled with my body image. I'd stand in front of the mirror and pick apart my every feature -- eyebrows (far too bushy), weight (awkwardly distrubuted), hair (a hopeless, tangled mess) - you name it! Although I still have a long way to go, this article helped me appreciate my individuality and the health I so often take for granted. Thank you so much for this article, Shagun! YOU are perfect. I think y... (more »)

Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:21 am :
trust me, i know excatly how you feel... or at least i used to. I have made my peace with who i am and so happy that to any extent, you have too. By the way, i am waiting on the Red hoodie sequel. 

NohaBooyan said...
I love how you used your experience into moulding something like this and the comparisons!

Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:55 am :
thank you :)

Lechu said...
Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:50 am:
Good job Shagun.!! I really believe this article would help at least one teen to feel they are good in their own ways.. :)

Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:17 am :
Thanks! I'd love to read some more of your stuff too  

Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm :
Please read my new article, The Lost Battle? It is editor's choice. I would really appriciate feedback