Define Yourself | Teen Ink

Define Yourself

By GabiFields_18 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
GabiFields_18 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma

All people go through their struggles in life. When comparing your problems to someone else’s, theirs may seem so small and so petty compared to the problems you are facing. The problems you go through are put there in order to test the person you are and the person you will become. You can either let your problems define you, or you can become a stronger person.

When I was young, my parents were divorced. Just like any kid going through a divorce, my heart was broken. I thought their divorce was something my brother and I had caused. I8 made it my duty to get them back together, but I knew that it would never happen. I did not become rebellious or do anything crazy to receive attention. Instead I focused on school and tried to become the best student and athlete I could in order to make my family proud. My parents’ divorce was very hard on me, but I chose to not let it make me bitter. I became a stronger person from the situation.

In the sixth grade I was put into another tough situation. My dad had been in a car accident and was in a coma for a little more than a month. They did not think my dad was going to make it, but he did. Today, he is paralyzed from the chest down. Since that day, there have been four other occasions where they did not think my dad was going to survive. My dad’s car accident did make me bitter, and I let it define me without realizing it. In the last year, I have started to become less bitter and accept the situation. I am thankful that my dad is alive and although he may not be the exact same, I am very blessed to have him at every softball game.

Although my life hasn’t gone exactly as planned so far, I know that I have become a stronger person through my 17 years. In life you go through many trials and tribulations trying to get where you are supposed to be. Throughout the many struggles you face, do not lose faith. The journey to get to your destination may not be easy, but in the end it will be worth it.