Who I Am As a Writer | Teen Ink

Who I Am As a Writer

By Hijabi_WriterIntheMaking SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hijabi_WriterIntheMaking SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Here's a personal quote that I came up with "Never be to blinded by your past to where you cannot see your future."

I consider myself as a writer who hopes of getting her work published. I started writing in 8th grade and ever since then Poetry has became an important aspect in my life. I connect through my readers through my poetry and it not only gives me a voice but it makes others see that I WILL be heard. To me someone who just writes is someone who writes to passes times and one who writes just to fill up a sheet of paper. But a writer is someone who puts time, effort and emotions into every piece of writing. That’s what makes them different in my eyes. I do think that everyone has a little bit of an “Author” in them simply because everyone is the Author of their OWN life and they can choose to Sing, Write, Draw, Rap, and etc, with their story.

In the beginning of the Semester I without a doubt knew that this would be a LONG writing experience but I never thought that I would grow this much a person and as a writer. Through not only my short stories, poetry and non-fiction stories but through my actions I have matured as a better person. At first I was skeptical on whether or not I should drop this class but in the end I’m more than glad that I stayed. Through all of the feedback and critism I have received I made it into a positive thing. I thought that my work would not matter and that I would never become a writer but yet here I am transitioning into one. Creative Writing is not just about poetry but it is about expressing oneself through the power of writing. It gives a person a voice and a chance to be heard.

I actually thought that my poems wouldn’t get me anywhere but published on the back of a milk carton. Now I have more confidence in myself and in my writing, I take pride in my work. I was indeed skeptical on whether I should’ve kept writing or not but in the end it makes me who
I am. I have published over ten pieces of my writings online and received over 70 views. I have submitted into the Scholastic Writing & Arts Award competition and as well as been selected to have an opportunity to write a script for a short film. I can indeed say that I am one step closer to my dreams. Not only am I proving people right but I’m making a believer out of myself.

The piece of writing I’m most proud of are my free verse poems simply because they are much more into depth and emotional. I was able to express myself much more because it didn’t have any limitations. I do a lot of free verse poetry, not because they’re easier but because I can get the option to talk about anything whether it’s real or just a fallacy. When people read my poems they can instantly make a connection and they can envision me just telling their life story.

My favorite piece is my poem “That Notebook” because it talks about me confiding into one of the most important things in my life which happens to be my Notebook. It turns out that one thing I was able to confide in was myself. The poem itself talks about my struggles, my addiction and it shares my emotions. My readers will definitely be able to envision themselves because it talks about my everyday struggles and A LOT of people can relate to it. When I wrote that of many poems I wanted to cry because others are living everyday as if it’s their last and they’re going through even worse than what I’ve gone through.

This is just my own personal experience during my 1 Semester of my Senior year in High School. I might do one for next Semester haven't decided yet. But I hope you all enjoy my Poems. (: