Crystal Spiders | Teen Ink

Crystal Spiders

By aliceXcheshire SILVER, Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
aliceXcheshire SILVER, Philidelphia, Pennsylvania

Easy ain't easy, when you want it to be.

The bench creaked as I stretched on the weathered, white wood and rusted, iron poles. The soft thump on the pavement resounded lightly as my tote connected with gravity. I leaned back and switch off my glasses of my face. A slight chilled breeze breathed past me and whipped my hair like black ribbons. I stared at the sloshing fountain, water misting out with the wind. The ruffle of the trees lulled me to a tranquil dream as I watched droplets dribble over the sides of stone, like crystal spiders. Quiet chirps filled my ears with distant notes but, the light crunch of leaves is what brought me back to the meadow.

A small, gray rabbit hopped to the fountain and dipped its head for a drink. A trail of stone sized-rabbits came behind it and sat next to it, in a row along the rocks. As I watched this, I slowly reached into my tote as to not disturb them, to get my notebook. Swiftly, I snatched it out with my pen and cracked it open. The sudden, but soft sound did not ruffle the family and I started to write the scene as quickly as I could to catch everything.

“ The small creatures, so furry yet, as cloudy as the storm sky, sit perched peacefully on the edge of the stone fountain. Occasionally, one will pop its head up and tiny rivers of silver will slide down their cheeks, leaving wet stains in their paths. The largest of the rabbits, which sits in the middle keeps its head up the whole while. He was the first to leave the safety of the bush and take a sip of the clear, natural drink. He is a guard, I believe, watching him taking in the meadow with black, soulful orbs. It is--”

I stop my tale as my eyes met that of the head bundle of fur. With a twitch of his nose, he hops down from the ledge and scurries over to my bench. I watch, hypnotized by the animal, with nothing but, my breath heard shallow in the air. The wind has stopped and the birds no longer chirp their afternoon play list. Then, the critter stops at my feet, and jumps on the bench. I hold my breath, watching out the corner of my eye as it, too, stares at the gurgling fountain. And with a shaky but, full sigh we sit peacefully, watching the water mist over the edge of the stones, washing the other rabbits, like crystal spiders.

THis an article with a deeper insight to nature. Take what ou want from it.