Autumn | Teen Ink

Autumn

November 10, 2012
By XxInsaneSmileyxX BRONZE, Arlington, Tennessee
XxInsaneSmileyxX BRONZE, Arlington, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say that time heals all wounds, but that presumes the source of grief is finite." -MB, Mortal Instruments series


A light breeze cuts abruptly through a changing world of color. The warm autumn sun streaks golden light that reveals delicate lines of gossamer thread that zigzags itself in-between the dark, contrasting branches of the black walnut trees that litter their produce on the soft bed of grass below.

I shiver slightly; feeling the breeze turn chilling beneath the massive tree’s massive shadow. It suddenly transforms the dark, heavy branches into arms, waving down at me and releasing it’s orange and red leaves to dance intricately with the wind. I can no longer help myself; I quickly join in their revelries, lightly tripping over walnuts and fallen twigs. I chase around the colors, trying to catch them, but to no avail. The always fall out of reach.

Suddenly, I spy a flash of red; a deep ruby color that seemed out of place among the auburns and the yellows. A lone maple leaf that had flittered over a neighbor’s fence. I give a good chase, but before I could snatch it from it’s endless dance, I fall over a thick tree root and onto the cool ground. The grass is still green and smells sweet. The golden rays of life are staring to recede from my yard and get caught on the trees. The grass rustles slightly beneath my fingers as the wind dies too, into a slight whisper. I look up to see the maple, softly coming to rest before my head.

Nature and I share a laugh.


The author's comments:
Autumn is my favorite season.
What's yours?