Let Nothing Hold Me Down

As a youngster, I had to watch my parents argue about bills. When I was twelve years old, they got a divorce. At first, I thought this was my entire fault. As I grew older, I understood that it would have never worked out.

My parents' divorce had a very negative impact on my life. It forced me into a box to myself because I felt as if it was my fault. Also, it made me hate reality and create fantasy friends to talk to because I didn’t have any true friends. I use to imagine I was a princess and that I would find my prince charming that would treat me like a queen. I didn't want to be around them when they argued because it broke my heart that two people could hate themselves that much. Whenever they argued, I just crawled into the bed I shared with both of my sisters and read the Bible. I can’t recall what chapters I read but, for some reason, I always read Adam and Eve.I thank God for bringing me out of that situation. Luckily, my mom and dad never had a physical argument.

I overcame my adversities by reading the Bible. Every night, I use to sleep with the Bible under my bed for security. I prayed for my mother but I mostly prayed for my father the most because he usually started all of the arguments. There are no organizations that helped me overcome these events. Organizations can only lead you half way. God led me from a small step that was too narrow to stand on and place me in the middle of the step of my life. I thank God for everything he has done. If it wasn't for him, my parents wouldn't be alive because one of them would have ended up killing each other. I never told anyone about what was going on in my household. I kept all of this anger all bottled up inside me. As a result, I refrained myself from activities held in school and community projects.

From my past experience, I have learned that marriage is a hard thing to go through especially when you have children. I have also learned that money does not grow on trees and that it is now just going to show up there on your doorstep. My personal insight is that this world is not your friend. You are going to have some ups and downs but it is up to you to choose whether that situation brings you up or down. Even though my household was broken, I put on a mask at school and when I was out with my mother and sisters. I prevent my adversity from impacting me in my future by not regarding all men as bad men. Now that my mom and dad are divorced, I know that the incident wasn't my fault. Even though they still may hate each other, it doesn’t affect our lives.

A wise woman once said, “Don’t expect the people who love you to encourage your ideas; but if you have a dream, go for it and just do it.” To me, this means to not let anyone who is close to you bring you down further than what you are already. For instance, if you want to be a doctor, you can become that doctor. According to Jean Nidetch, she only had people who had a problem of excess weight as friends. This relates to me because I have a certain circle of friends I talk to. I don’t feel comfortable around skinny people because I am very self-conscious about my weight as well. Also, Mrs. Nidetch didn’t sit around until her problem worsened. She got up and did something about it. I didn’t let my parents take my joy away. I secluded myself from the situation by putting my trust in the Lord. It should be a momentum for all overweight teenagers to find a diet that works best. Even though people told me that I won’t be able to lose weight, I lost ten pounds and got off of my hypertension medicine. Nobody but God can work a miracle like that.Thats why I let nothing hold me down.