Looking Back: Development on the Human Brain | Teen Ink

Looking Back: Development on the Human Brain

By Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York
Bridie ELITE, Massapequa, New York

She can because she thinks she can.

When I was a baby my Uncle picked me up into the air and looked at me and said, “What a pretty baby!” unfortunately he did not see the ceiling fan directly above him there was a loud THUD! THUD! THUD! Before he realized that I was being hit in the head with it. When I learned about the different functions of each of the lobes of the brains in class I developed a theory as to why I am such a klutz. Since the skull of a baby is not fully developed it must have set off some damage to my parietal lobe. This explains why I am such a klutz. I obviously have no special relations in my body or at least fairly poor ones. Aside from the fact that my mother’s side of the family is very uncoordinated; this is the reason I walk into walls, trip over curbs, fall up the stairs, and numerous other things. Basically I was doomed from the start.

I feel as though the Aphasia absorbs more information as a baby; it is easier to learn a language at a young age. When my mother worked at a daycare center there was this one boy who knew four languages fluently by the time he was two. They had a child in the class who had A.D.H.D. and they were teaching him how to sign because it helped him to concentrate. The one boy picked up sign language within two months. When I was little my mother taught me sign language and I picked it up rather quickly as well. Although I was able to learn the language it was not exercised everyday with me and because it was not necessary for me to communicate with sign language my brain threw out the information. I feel that when it comes to languages children should be taught at a young age and it should be exercised daily so it does not become unnecessary space.

Memory trick for cerebellum: cerebellum sounds like ballerina, a ballerina has balance. (Obviously there is something wrong with me there as well.)

Motor and Sensory cortexes: they control movement in the body. So does that mean if a miss fire is sent to them it explains spasms?

Depending on what side of the brain you are does that mean you learn better with visual or with listening? What I mean is does it control it?

Endorphins: when people are severely hurt pain doesn’t register fully because endorphins kick in. Is that the reason why people cut themselves in order to feel better? They aren’t really feeding off the pain but feeding off the high of the endorphins. Does this happen for everyone or just some people because I know when I get hurt the only thing I feel is pain. Like when I tripped over a curb two summers ago all I felt was extreme pain and the need to pass out or be sick from all the blood. But someone I know used to cut him/herself and had no fear of pain. Is that because there was no pain to feel and just pleasure from the endorphins?

Frontal Lobe: The frontal lobe is not fully developed as teenagers. The frontal lobe’s job involves planning and judgment. When it comes to planning things like dividing a project into separate days and when to do what; or to time yourself when it comes to getting up in the morning, doing everything that you need to do, and then leaving at the right time; or when taking a test and how much time to spend on a question. I personally procrastinate, have time management issues, and I’m late for everything (which is apparently a well-known fact because I was nominated for most likely to be late to graduation…story of my life). Is that just a bad habit or will I grow out of it after my frontal lobe is fully developed? And why do teenagers think they can lie about something and get away with it? Does that have to do with the whole judgment part of the undeveloped frontal lobe? I really hope it is because I’m sick of being lied to.

Oh Scale Psychology <3