Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

By JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other
JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other

In elementary school, we didn't care how we looked. We would wear the same socks as the day before, leave our hair uncombed, no one would care. But now I'm in a completely different world. As my dad pulled up onto the driveway of my new school, I looked out the window. There were girls amongst the stairway with two inch heels and faces generously lathered with makeup. 
"Like my mascara? It was on sale for fourteen bucks," said one of the girls.
Fourteen dollars? I could hardly afford the knockoff makeup they sell in dollar stores. 

I stood alone on the courtyard of my school feeling completely left out. Everyone changed. All of my friends dressed completely different and wore earrings the size of light bulbs. I didn't even own a pair of heels. I never thought that I would need them. As I continued my march, I looked down at my own outfit. I wore oversized sneakers that I've had for over two years and stained baggy around the butt jeans that I purchased at the thrift store. When I got ready this morning, I thought I looked good. These were the types of clothes I wore back in elementary school, why did it look completely wrong? It seemed like everyone received a complete guide on how to dress in high school except for me. Everywhere I walked, I heard snickers and giggles come from behind me. 
That afternoon, I begged my mom to buy me new clothes.

The next day was completely different. I came walking into school with pink high heels, tripping every few centimeters. I wore the shortest mini skirt I could find and a paper thin tank top. 
Throughout the course of the day, I was freezing and a piercing pain came from the balls of my feet. The makeup I lathered my face with smeared all over my eyes and my lipstick dripped down to my chin, making me look like a clown. I couldn't take it anymore, I looked prettier, but I didn't feel that way at all. Wiping the thick globs of makeup off of my face, I could see me. 
I mean, the real me, beautiful with or without makeup and heels.

on Mar. 31 2013 at 12:37 pm
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

great job, i know exactly what you mean. All the girls in my grade use so much makeup and wear these disgussting "sneaker" heels. I am a sneaker and jeans person, not one to change for others. If you can find yourself amongst these catty girls and excessive sephora stands, life will be a breeze. Keep up the good work! 5/5 stars ps can u also check out my opinion peice called girl on fire, it relates exactly to this topic thanx

on Jun. 24 2012 at 9:41 pm
prettyinpiink GOLD, Houston, Texas

" Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

wow that was absolutely amazing and i can totally relate keep it up !! could you plz check out my work and tell me what u think ??