The Notebook This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Football, red meat, power tools. Football, red meat, power tools. These three things played over and over in my head. Three manly things that kept me from thinking about …

“WE DID NOT WATCH ‘THE NOTEBOOK’!”

You could hear Key from across the Quad. He was pointing at Alex. The 15 feet of sidewalk took three strides and less than a second for me to cross to reach them. I grabbed Key’s arm and thrust it to his side, whispering so only they could hear.

“Keep your voices down, idiots. We said we would never talk about it. If anyone asks, we put it in for two minutes, realized how girly it was, and watched ‘Fight Club’ instead.”

“I’m sorry,” Alex murmured. “I can’t help myself. It was such a good movie. I can’t get over the …”

“I don’t want to hear it!” bellowed Key. “Stick to the plan, Alex. I promise you if anybody finds out what happened last night I will kill you.”

I looked into Key’s eyes; I didn’t think I had ever seen him look so serious. For a second it actually frightened me. Nonetheless, Key was right – this was not a joking matter. If word that three highly regarded senior men had watched “The Notebook” together the previous night, their reputation, masculinity, and sexual orientation would no doubt come into question.

It is not a matter of how perfect “The Notebook” is, or how it made the three of us experience a state of compassion, anger, and mourning that gave us a new appreciation of love. This was a matter of Man Law.

Chick flicks are well-known for their effect on women, and naturally, girlfriends are notorious for their countless attempts to trick us into watching these horrid films. Imagine the social suicide that would come if the campus was aware of the crime against masculinity that the three of us had committed.

Throughout the day I was constantly honing in on neighboring conversations for the slightest mention of my name. My body tensed when teachers asked us to take “notes” or open our “books.” I approached every group of friends prepared to ­defend my actions. Then the worst happened – one fatal mistake that we had overlooked: the person who had lent us the movie.

My girlfriend was thrilled that I had asked to borrow “The Notebook.” She made it her duty to tell all her friends. The gossip spread faster than wildfire. At this point we had no other option than to enter survival mode: Deny ’Til You Die. We were perfect, the three of us denying everything in harmony. We were prepared for the worst, but it never came. In fact, the reaction was the exact opposite of what we had dreaded all day.

“Are you kidding?” Christopher exclaimed. “I loved ‘The Notebook’!”

AelissNovakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 20, 2012 at 9:47 am:

I'm a girl and I'm afraid to be caught watching girl movies. I hate most of them, espesialy stuff like Pride and Prejedice. D8

This is really funny, even though they are guys I know exactly how they feel.

corazon.de.cielo said...
May 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm:
Hahahahahahahahaha this was hilarious I actually laughed out loud while reading it... all I had to do was picture the three macho-est senior boys (football, red meat, power tools) weeping as they watched "The Notebook" and...hahahahah

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm:
i just love this ha ha ha hahahhaahhahhaha HAHAHAHAHAHA ha

StandStrong said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm:
haha, this really funny. I love the tone you used, it adds excitement to this story.

PamplemousseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 10:01 pm:
Haha, I love this so much! You have such a great natural style that makes your writing so entertaining. I think any guy who watches the Notebook and is on Teen Ink should get a reward :)

Phoenixfire said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:41 am:
This really made me laugh. I'm a girl and I don't like chick flicks very much but my sister who does made me watch the notebook and I loved it. She did the same with my little brother too with the same results. Nice story!

kate12345meThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:28 am:
This was a good read, for sure! I liked how you put humor into it but also made it sound completely real (did this actually happen?!). I loved this and found it sweet that the three guys were going through that to hide from society, which is very realistic! Keep writing, I've given this 5 out of 5! Katie, x

SmellyMichelly said...

this is sooooo funny. I love it. sriously though,

you must keep writing. :P

WickedStarcatcherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm:
Oh, god this is hilarious! :D

ayesha20 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:07 am:
notebook <3

Alon_FreevoiceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:31 am:
Man Law? There is such thing like that?

By the way, I like this article. Good job, man!

PapasGirl said...
May 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm:
The Notebook was a great movie. My Friend watched it with me and he was in tears at the end of it. Any guy that watches "The Notebook" Is a REAL man. :)

OneHotMeS4L said...
May 19, 2011 at 7:19 am:
Haha. I got my boyfriend to watch that movie... He told me he cried. It was sweet(:

theguitarist94 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm:
Ha! that was great! Us guys try to follow "Man Code" as much as possible, but The Notebook was a great movie. I like how it is easily entertaining.

Nickster replied...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 9:04 am :
guys never want to admit they like chick flicks! haha

writerchik_123 replied...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:04 am :
Why? Guys should know that if you tell a girl that your into chick flicks it just make you seem more attractive. Well if that girl is into chick flicks

writefromtheheart said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm:
If you liked 'The Notebook' you'll love 'A Walk To Remember'!

VampyreEclipse replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 8:39 am :
So true. (:

LostInTime said...

Wow, that was really funny. 

Good job, keep writing. 

Sometimes writing about real life experiences is really the best ; )

. said...
this is really nice boys can watch girls movies because they are made by guy directors most the time